Life Science

Middle School Forensics

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:35 PM

I was asked to come up with an elective for our middle school students, and I was thinking of developing a Forensics unit. The class would last for one trimester.

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, and if so, thy had any suggestions or resources that I could use in developing this.

Jennifer Goldstein
Jennifer Goldstein

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:12 PM

There's a great book called Wildlife Forensics that is available from the science store---you may want to check it out.

Patty McGinnis
Patricia McGinnis

Tue May 13, 2014 10:09 PM

Agreed - The Wildlife Forensics book is terrific.
Combines student interest in wildlife and crime scene investigation.

Also a good way to bring in concepts biodiversity conservation and the issue of the illegal wildlife trade.

Using Forensics - Wildlife Crime Scene. (ebook and/or print book)

Dorothy Ginnett
Dorothy Ginnett

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:42 PM

I am linking the two Forensics threads together so readers will realize there are two threads on a similar topic. The other thread is located in the New Teachers thread

I recently found a couple of new books I am going to add to my Forensic unit. One is called, “Forensics: Uncover the Science and Technology of Crime Scene Investigation”, by Carla Mooney. This book has seven chapters that could be easily used in the intermediate and middle school level classrooms. The link to Amazon is

The second is, “Forensic Identification: Putting a Name and Face on Death,” by Elizabeth Murray. It is easily adapted to middle and high school . The photos are exquisite and the content intriguing to students. This book is not very big, 72 pages total, but well written when it comes to content. There are three chapters entitled “Skin Deep”, “Hard Parts,” and “Cells and Molecular Clues.” My middle school students saw the book just as the year ended and were fighting over who got to read it first. The link to Amazon is

Sandy Gady
Sandy Gady

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:14 AM

I presented a workshop for middle school teachers on Forensics in the classroom. There are lots of materials - books, curriculum and even software to facilitate this but most of all you want to consider using activities that are unique and require little or no cost to prepare. All my supplies came from a local supermarket. All activities were safe to use. You need to try things out before you use it in class.
I think this is a great idea and I hope you have the chance to do it.

The following is the resources list for that workshop:

A Few Forensic Science Websites with Labs and other websites
Books Used
Science Sleuths by Jossey-Bass Teacher ISBN 0-7879-7435-8
Crime Scene Investigations by Josey-Bass ISBN 0-7879-6630-4
Using Forensics Wildlife Crime Scene by NSTA Press ISBN 978-0-87355-270-7

Adah Stock
Adah Stock

Tue May 13, 2014 10:02 PM

Excellent links, Thanks!

Kelly O'Connor
Kelly O'Connor

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:45 AM

I recently did a forensics course for teachers and found lots of resources in the Learning Center. I am attaching my Forensic Collection. You will find lots of good resources for middle school.

Note: There seems to be a glitch in the Learning Center posting. The collection only has 26 items. You have to click on View Items to open the collection.

Forensics Science Collection