Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:43 PM

Hello all,
I am a student teacher, and next semester I will be taking over the classroom full time, and I am helping my placement teacher create new unit plans for the year. We are trying to find new activities for our students to do, and we were wondering if any of you had any activities or lessons that you use to help teach Ecology?

Teresa Pairitz
Teresa Pairitz

Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:11 PM

Hello Teresa,

I love this site so check this out.

Google mapping tools such as Google Earth and Google Map Overview are also helpful which I've learned from my online course. I've used this site for one of my lessons and it has Ecology too.

Hope this helps.

Joselyn Hermoso
Joselyn Hermoso

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:17 PM

I am about to start my Student Teaching in the spring as well! Good luck!

I am currently in Ecology this fall semester here at my university and in my lab we do some great activities. I'm not sure what level you are teaching but some of them could probably simplified to meet your standards. I just give you the basics.
A couple labs we have done:

• Carbon Sequestering- If there is a nearby wooded area, you can have them measure the diameters of trees to determine how much Carbon they sequester from the atmosphere.

• Biodiversity of rivers/creeks- Collect samples and take them to class of river/creek beds and have the students separate the invertebrates they find and determine the species present.

• Biodiversity of Fields- have the students look at plots of land near the school and measure the different plant species.

• There is a great interactive learning site called Simutext but it does cost money but they have great activities.

• [/ol]

Hope any of these help at all or maybe spark an idea of your own!

Best of luck for your student teaching!

Chris Hunt
    Christopher Hunt

Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 PM

Thank you all for your help!

Teresa Pairitz
    Teresa Pairitz

Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:25 AM

Thank you so much for these great activities.
    The Carbon sequestering is a great activity, especially that you can take the children outside of the normal every day in class lessons.
    The biodiversity of rivers/creeks is a great observing activity being able to collect and group the samples they've collected.
    The biodiversity of fields is another great activity that you can take them outside and being able to practice measuring.
    I will look forward to sharing these this other teachers at my job!

Jenneffer Pinto
    jenneffer pinto

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:40 PM

I remember when I was in school back in my country when my teacher talked about ecology I was not sure how I can help to save my planet. The teacher gave us several resources where we could investigate but all of them were impossible for me or my peers. So, my teacher with the others science teachers planned to do a orchard were every student needed to bring at least one plant, any plant, a flower or a plant which will give us a fruit. Every science class we took a little time to take care of our plant, put water or changing the soil. With this we help in our own way to save the planet and this activity help me a lot to expand my knowledge about plants of all the different types that we had, how to take care of them, and at the time of planing an experiment it was accessible to make one with plants.

Valentina Santamaria