Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:28 AM

As many of use have developed rich libraries of outside resources, I was wondering if it might be of any interest to share these here. We might uncover interesting options for future vetting and more general inclusion. One of my favorites is the National Science Digital Library as nsdl.org

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:06 PM

Another outside resource I quite like id the Annenberg Foundation
They have a wonderful selection of on-line learning resources indexed by grade level

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:53 PM

I teach space science to pre-service teachers. I like the Space Telecope Science Institute (Hubble) site with online lessons for students.

Go to:
Hubble Space Telescope

Flavio Mendez
Flavio Mendez

Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:09 PM

Anyone interested in differentiated or layers curriculm?

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:50 AM

For science news, I like the breaking news emails from:

Learning Center Online Advisors
Learning Center Online Advisors

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 AM

Here's another great resource that I'm sure most of you are already familiar with called Project 2061:
Project 2061

There is a significant amount of information regarding science literacy and science education on this site. Some of my favorite tools are the concept maps. The maps identify how the benchmarks are related and the grade levels at which different concepts should be taught.
sample concept maps

Maureen

Learning Center Online Advisors
Learning Center Online Advisors

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:58 PM

Yes I really enjoy science daily and also the Tuesday Science section in the NYTimes

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:21 PM

My students love to watch NOVA and Nature specials. You can stream video by going to http://video.pbs.org/ and then selecting on the program you would like to watch. You can select to have subtitles and you can also download a transcript. I like to modify the transcript to make reading guide that students complete as we view the movie.

Ruth Hutson
Ruth Hutson

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:34 PM

Teachers' Domain is a free digital media service for educational use from public broadcasting and its partners. You’ll find thousands of K-12 media resources, support materials, and tools for classroom lessons. You will be asked to register before utilizing the materials - but it's FREE! The NOVA episode clips are specific - and can be matched to state standards.

Go to: http://www.teachersdomain.org

Alyce Dalzell
Alyce Dalzell

Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:31 AM

I have put together a small collection of outside resources on baseball science. This is mostly aimed at HS and college,with a few items relevant to MS. I have made this public so it should show up in a search. If you can not find it and would like it let me know. I can send it to you my email

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 PM

The Nobel Prize website has an educational section with a variety of resources and interactives for students: http://nobelprize.org/educational/all_productions.html. There are resources for physics, chemistry, and medicine. I've used the DNA, Blood Typing, and Cell Cycle interactives and all have worked well with high school students.

David Kotchmar
David Kotchmar

Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 AM

The University of Arizona's The Biology Project is a wonderful resource for cell biology, human biology, and immunology. I have used the cell cycle interactive for several years with my students. I use a guided webquest to help them focus on what is on their screen. I have also used the karotyping activities located on this site.

Ruth Hutson
Ruth Hutson

Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:00 AM

If you are looking for activities related to genetics, one of the best I have found is at the University of Utah. Learn.Genetics contains a wealth of information useful from elementary through high school, and has sections on current issues including stem cells, cloning, gene therapy, and gene-targeting technology. It goes well beyond delivering basic content, and integrates social issues. I have used it for developing my own content, and some of my middle-school students used it to do research for a genetics project. Lots of free resources, and high quality.

Jennifer Rahn
Jennifer Rahn

Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:46 PM

I love this sharing of great sites. I have one I like for organisms. It is called the encyclopedia of life.

Adah Stock
Adah Stock

Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:28 AM

Hi Everyone:
Just yesterday I came across a wonderful resource sponsored by NSTA. It is called Lab Out Loud. There are numerous episodes of blog about different topics in science and science education by well know people. This might be an interesting topic to have kids listen to or preservice teachers.
Adah

Adah Stock
Adah Stock

Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:00 PM

Free Conservation Biology book
"When the last living thing has died on account of us, how poetical it would be, if Earth could say, in a voice floating, perhaps from the floor of the Grand Canyon 'It is done...People did not like it here.'"
-Kurt Vonnegut

> Dear all,
> Apparently in support of this year being the International Year for
> Biodiversity, Oxford University Press is making a Conservation Biology
> textbook freely available.
> Please pass this email on to as many schools, wildlife clubs and
> others as you can and/or print it and give it!!
> PS-Please post and disseminate to other networks and colleagues!!
> Download the 350 pp book free at:
> http://www.mongabay.com/conservation-biology-for-all.html
> Sodhi, N. S. and P. R. Ehrlich (Eds.) Conservation Biology for All.
> Oxford University Press (2010)

Patricia Rourke
Patricia Rourke

Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:22 PM

Adah

Where is the Lab out Loud located? I have searched in the resources section but couldn't find it.

Thanks
Liz

Elizabeth Dalzell-Wagers
Elizabeth Dalzell

Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:03 PM

Hi Liz-Lab Out Loud is a series of podcasts. Here is the link in the Learning Center to the podcasts page. Enjoy!
Learning Center Podcasts

Kate Geer
Kate Geer

Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:20 PM

Following these discussions is like being dropped in the middle of a rain forest with no survivors guide. As one explores this vast jungle of knowledge the discoveries are endless. Ruth from your suggested site there is a nice sequence using an onion root with the cell cycle and a nice pic to do the lab with on a big screen together with the class. Followed with (Thanks Idah) a nice presentation on dnatube where a gentleman"s discussion on the same cycle shows time lapse cell division in a fish egg. I plan to test this sequence in class. :) Keep discussing.

Steve Werner
Steve Werner

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:04 AM

My daughter just shared this amazing resource with me and I can 't wait to share it with you - and the wonderful thing is - the author has provided multiple means to download so you don't have to try to link to YouTube (which is blocked by the school firewalls)

It is called Symphony of Science, and even if your students aren't old enough to understand all the science, the images are so catching they draw you in anyway - it is amazing what creative people can do and I am just greatful this person has such a love for science that he can express it in such in different manner than we science teachers tend to

Check it out at http://www.symphonyofscience.com/videos.html

Tina Harris
Tina Harris

Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 PM

Tina -

Those videos are very cool indeed.
My reource to share is entirely different - and one that I jsut can't do without: the NSDL Science Literacy Maps. I work on a lot of curriculum writing projects and beginning with the end in mind means starting here for me!

Caryn Meirs
Caryn Meirs

Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:54 PM

Hi All,

Here is another resource I just used with my pre and inservice science teachers for finding well vetted resources for teaching middle school science. I actually worked on this PRISMS project! You can search through topics and learning goals .

"PRISMS is a collection of reviewed phenomena and representations for middle school. Our goal is to help increase the amount of content aligned and pedagogically useful resources available in the National Science Digital Library (NSDL) for middle school teachers and students.

Resources are evaluated for how well they support learning goals in Science for All Americans, Benchmarks for Science Literacy, and the National Science Education Standards and are grouped in the main menu by categories used in the Science Curriculum Topic Study."
[/i]

Arlene Jurewicz-Leighton
Arlene Jurewicz Leighton

Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:50 PM

For all of you who are Paige Keeley fans-there is an upcoming web seminar presided by her. If you don't know who she is...you might want to know more about some of her formative strategies at this web seminar.The seminar will be held May 2, 2011 at 6:30-8pm eastern time. Register now under the "Learning Resources & Opportunities" tab.

Sue Garcia
Sue Garcia

Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:08 AM

Sue Garcia wrote, "For all of you who are Paige Keeley fans-there is an upcoming web seminar presided by her."

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the information about Paige's upcoming web seminar. NSTA web seminars are wonderful! I'm able to get the latest scoop on what's new in science, while visiting with my fellow educators. I also enjoy the ability to ask questions during the live chat. All of this from the comfort of my home. :)

Ruth

Ruth Hutson
Ruth Hutson

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 PM

Pam mentioned Annenberg Media earlier. Teacher resources are listed alphabetically. I love the "Case Studies in Science Education" series and the "Private Universe Project in Science" video series. The first series mentioned shows teachers teaching and being critiqued by experts in science education. The second series addressed many of the science misconceptions and showcases students thinking through their misconceptions.

Carolyn Mohr