STEM

STEM programs

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:02 PM

As a new teacher, I would like to know the best way to implement a STEM program if your school does not already have a program in place. What are some resources to use when implementing a STEM program and is there a certain method to use when implementing it? How could you propose a school-wide STEM program if your school does not already have one? STEM is a fairly new concept for me, and I have found it very interesting to be able to integrate all of those different areas into one program. I also think that STEAM is great. Art has always been an interest for me so being able to also integrate art into these subjects sounds so interesting. Thanks for the tips!

-Brittany

Brittany Lapa
Brittany Lapa

Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:58 PM

STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. I don’t believe that this should be thought of as a new concept because we teach students science and math almost every day, and they encounter these subjects every day. Students walk outside, and there’s science all around them. Students use math every day to pay for drinks or food, simple addition or subtraction, and counting. They use technology every day too with cell phones, laptops, Ipads, etc. These topics aren’t hard for the students to learn because they already know things about them and encounter them every day. We just need to turn them into an educational teaching that promotes higher thinking.

I would implement STEM within my class by having my Kindergarten students work on simple yet, challenging experiments. For example, my students need to build a bridge for 21 elephant counters. All of my students know how to count to 100, and they all know how to make and build things like bridges, towers, cutouts, etc. Now they need to use trial and error to see if what they think works (science). They would then need to count how many elephants they can fit (math) on the bridge they built (engineering).  In the end, the teacher can help the students record their finding on video or add the audio to a picture using an Ipad (technology).

Lindsey Huynh
Lindsey Huynh

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:50 PM

Hello, I am in my first semester of student teaching and I am placed in a kindergarten class. I was finding it hard to think of ways to implement STEM into Kindergarten but everything you said is totally true. I see my students using STEM every day. When they are in centers and exploring the legos, they are building and using engineering skills. When my students are making sure only 4 students are at one center at a time, they are using their math skills. STEM is in all our daily lives and I am excited to come up with more ways my students can explore this. Thanks!

Lindsey Ballinas
Lindsey Ballinas

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:53 PM

I want to implement STEM in my classroom, I can use Lindsey's building bridge idea and modify it to my 2nd grade students. I could make 5 groups of students, each group will use the same materials like tape, straws, toothpicks, pipe cleaners, popsicle sticks to build a bridge that is strong enough to fit and hold the size and the weight of 4 large erasers. Then we'll test the final products and have the students to submit a video of the testing part of their bridge. Later, the whole class will take a survey to answer questions that will connect their prior knowledge and experience while experimenting building the bridge.

Hadeel Alrubaye Barries
Hadeel Alrubaye Barries

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:25 PM

Hello! I am in my first semester of student teaching and I am in a second grade class. I love what STEM stands for (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and I love your ideas on how to implement it into a 2nd grade class. I think this project could reach potentially all subjects that students learn ( including Language arts- writing about their experience). I would love to take this activity and use it in my class, maybe even modifying it to my below level and above level students, giving them different tasks to build, or even using legos for the activity instead of pipe cleaners and Popsicle sticks.

Danielle George
Danielle George

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:46 PM

I am in my first semester of student teaching and I am learning more and more everyday. I like what STEM stands for and how it is used in the classroom. I would like to learn how I could implement this into my third grade classroom that I am currently in. I have not seen STEM being implemented where I am at. What are some good ideas of some ways that I could introduce STEM to the classroom.

Adrene Henninger

Adrene Henninger
Adrene Henninger

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:20 PM

How funny! I am also in my first semester of student teaching! I also like what STEM stands for (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) and wish to implement it in my future classroom. I feel it is very important for students to know and be familiar with this concept in this ever progressing world.

I think some good ways to implement STEM in a classroom is to find ways to incorporate it in the centers. I think having centers that help the students build their STEM knowledge would be a great start. I personally would probably use iPads/tablets or computers (technology) as they could use apps that incorporate STEM concepts.

Erika Padilla

Erika Padilla
Erika Padilla

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:41 PM

I am in my first semester of student teaching as well.  STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math.  I hope to teach fifth grade math and/or science someday.  I would like to use hands on projects to get the kids excited about STEM in my classroom.  An easy science experiment I could do to engage them about the three main stages of matter (no plasma or Bose-Einstein condensate) with them is to change ice to liquid, and then the liquid to gas.  We could discuss the various types of matter and name/identify some different solids, liquids, and gases present in the classroom.  It would keep the children motivated and eager to learn.  I would also stress to them that STEM is everywhere around them and encourage them to think about the lessons they learn in class and apply them to real world activities.  I hope to do at least one or two experiments a week or at least have a hands on/visual display of the subject being discussed if possible.

Tracy Galle
Tracy Galle

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 PM

STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. I am student teaching in a first-grade classroom, and like Lindsey mentioned, most of us are already using STEM all around us. I would implement STEM in my future classroom by crafting activities that allow the students to use creativity, hands-on materials, and collaboration with their peers. Students learn in various ways, and sometimes it helps them to learn from each other. This being said, in math, I would have my students share their problem solving techniques step by step with each other so that other students can get inspiration and possibly understand that way better. Especially in science, I would design meaningful activities that the students can relate to and understand. An example of this would be using a hairdryer to melt ice or a crayon while teaching them the different states of matter and how a solid can change into a liquid. I hope to gain many more ideas on how to implement STEM education in my future classroom because I know there are great opportunities ahead for students!

Naimah Urfi
Naimah Urfi

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:48 PM

Hello Lindsey! I am in my first semester as well!! STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and mathematics) is awesome! I think it is interesting to want to reach all subjects in this project of yours! I think it is a great idea to use the manipulative and have them make something creative along with other subjects! Since my class in the 6th grade I think I would have to do it a little different. I was thinking with STEM I could have the students incorporate technology into a science project. Since many of my students are well versed in their phones and technology I thought it would be an interesting way to join the subjects. I think I would do this by having the kids a 3D replica of different types of cells on the computer with a program.

Stefanie Thews
Stefanie Thews

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:11 PM

Hi! I am currently a student teacher in a first grade classroom and I really get to see first hand how science is being taught. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math and it is an overall great thing to implement in to everyones classroom. I personally would implement STEM in my classroom to keep my students interested in learning and continue to ask questions. There is science and math all around us everyday that has potential to be explored and learn something from. Students having real world connections to their world and what they learn, helps students understand and grasp knowldege. STEM promotes learning, curiosity, and critical thinking that offer students many possibilities.

Alondra Hernandez