Life Science

Heredity Activities

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:15 PM

Hello everyone, I'm going to be starting my student teaching very soon and I was curious if anyone had any ideas on making heredity and reproduction more fun for students. We will be stressing punnett squares for almost a months time, and they can get very repetitive and almost annoying for some students as my cooperating teacher has pointed out. If anyone has done any activities pertaining to heredity, reproduction, or punnett squares that really helped the student grasp the material any pointers would be great!
Thank you so much!

Rachael Bickel
Rachael Bickel

Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:30 AM

Hi there! Good luck in your student teaching! I love heredity and genetics, and I feel like I can spend all year on It! There are so many cool hereditary projects on the web. My favorites are Harry potter genetics,  alien genetics and paper babies. Google is such a great resource!  Also check out science spot. You could teach your whole year with the resources available there for you! Good luck!Angel

Angel Doughty
Angel Doughty

Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:18 PM

There are some great activities on Mystery Science web site. It is designed for k-7 but you might be able to adapt it to higher grades. My 5th graders did one called "Can selection happen without people?" I believe you can try out the website for free for a period of time.

Joyce Dunning
Joyce Dunning

Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 PM

Hello Rachel.

The BioInteractive has great activity to start with the Heredity. I like the Biology of Skin Color and Got Lactate activities. I'm not on Genetics unit yet, but I will definitely try those.

Good luck!

Joselyn Hermoso
Joselyn Hermoso

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:37 PM

Thank you for your insight Joselyn! I will look into those activities!

Rachael Bickel
Rachael Bickel

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:37 AM

I, too, find this a very interesting unit for students! I love the http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/ site. My students really enjoy that I bring in my family's history of colorblindness after discussing Queen Victoria's family history of hemophilia. (I have them make predictions about whether or not my children could be color blind.) As an assessment, I have them take on the role of a genetics counselor, counseling a couple about the probability of their child having hemophilia, and what blood types the baby would possibly have. I can't seem to upload the file but would be happy to share via email. Good luck student teaching!

Sarah Horan
Sarah Horan

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:50 AM

Hello! Yes I agree the http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/ site is also great. I've that for my Bridge projects and my students works on the simulation of fruit flies eyes and wings.

Joselyn Hermoso
Joselyn Hermoso

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 PM

This is awesome, thank you so much for the reply, I will look into the site that you have posted!

Rachael Bickel
Rachael Bickel

Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 AM

Sciencespot and Biology Corner offer some great resources. My students are highly engaged during the Spongebob genetics activity.

Laura Scarfogliero
Laura Scarfogliero

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:35 PM

Thank you so much for the reply Laura! I will be looking into these activities!

Rachael Bickel
Rachael Bickel

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:19 AM

I am a student teacher and I am planning a unit in Genetics. One lab I have found that connects the inheritance of traits to probability and parents is found here: https://www.biologycorner.com/worksheets/variations_on_a_human_face.html#.U5cw47HD_cs
Students work in pairs and flip coins. Each student flips a coin and whether they land on heads or tails is what determines which allele they contribute to their person's face. They then get to draw their person with all of the traits they inherited. It also addresses genotype and phenotype.

Lindsay Williams