Next Generation Science Standards

Standards Based Grading and NGSS

Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:25 PM

My district is requiring all teachers to implement Standards-Based Grading.  All examples of SBG in science that I have found only address the content and do not address all three dimensions of NGSS.  I would love to see examples of lessons, report cards, assessments, etc. that are truly SBG and NGSS based.  Thanks.

Chris Embry-Mohr
Chris Mohr

Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:11 PM

Hi Chris!
The NGSS hub - ngss.nsta.org - has added a lot of lesson plans for each of the grade levels aligned to all three dimensions of each of the NGSS. Individuals are working on adding more every week. It is a place for someone to start who needs help seeing how a specific DCI might be addressed and connected to the other two dimensions.

I would love to hear from anyone who has tried one of these lessons. If there is enough interest, we could start a new discussion thread where we share what has been tried out and suggestions for how to make them even more effective.

Best,
Carolyn Mohr :-)

Carolyn Mohr
Carolyn Mohr

Tue May 16, 2017 12:26 PM

Carolyn just gave us the jackpot for lessons, experiments, etc! Thank you!

Pamela Dupre
Pamela Dupre

Thu May 18, 2017 4:08 PM

Chris,
    For the NASA Mars Education lessons we developed Instructional Objectives (IO) and Learning Outcomes (LO) for each lesson. The IO and LO's were written using the 3-D format of a Performance Expectation, but were more focused. We then wrote a rubric for each Learning Outcome and suggested that for assessment. We have gotten good feedback from teachers.
    You can find many example lessons, but I recommend looking at one example lesson for an activity called Astrobiobound. You can get the alignment document that shows all the alignments for NGSS, Common Core and Partnership for 21st Century Skills - so it is rather long and complete. The rubrics for NGSS for this lesson's LO's are toward the end on page 28. The rubrics for Common Core and 21st Century Skills are on following pages. You can also download the Astrobiobound Lesson for HS or MS.
     One caveat - we found that the verbs we used in the 3-D format came mostly from the Practices and most of those Practice verbs in NGSS called for lower-order thinking skills as measured by Blooms or Anderson and Krathwohl taxonomys. We substituted appropriate higher order thinking skill verbs for our IO's and LO's.
   I hope this is helpful. Other people (Ted Willard at NSTA and Joe Krajcik) are using a similar structure for lessons but are calling the Learning Outcome a Lesson Level Learning Performance - also written in 3-D format - or at least they were a few months ago.

Donald Boonstra
Donald Boonstra

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:53 AM

I really like this idea! I'm checking out the website, but would also like to be part of the discussion.

Jennifer Basalari
Jennifer Basalari

Sat May 13, 2017 8:25 AM

I've planned and implemented 3D lessons over the course of the school year. I feel very comfortable with this moving forward, but I still can't get my head wrapped around standards based grading in science. I taught math for 11 years and I had a system in place for this. I think worked quite well. I think the key difference is knowing what mastery looks like for the standards. Do we look at the PE, SEP, and CCC separately or altogether? I use the entire standards document (including the appendix) along with the framework constantly.

Jeanette Kimbro
Jeanette Kimbro

Sun May 14, 2017 12:42 PM

I am interested in this as well. We are developing a standards based report card for grades K - 8 and we are having a lot of difficulty with science. I would appreciate anything including ideas, samples, what's worked, what's not worked from others in this same situation.

Kathleen Nicholson