Life Science

Science Notebooks

Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:51 PM

How have you incorporated science notebooks into your life science classroom? Do you have any suggestions for future teachers about science notebooks? How have you found these helpful?

Sayde Anderson
Sayde Anderson

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:38 PM

When doing my field experience hours, I have found that many of my cooperating teachers use a science notebook for each new experiment they do. One of my teachers had their notebooks broken down into sections for each part of the experiment. So, for example, she would have the students write all the vocabulary words used throughout the experiment in one section, their hypothesis for the experiment in another, their claim, their observations and evidence, their results and reasoning and then there would be a section for a reflection. The students seemed to enjoy it because it made them feel like "real scientists" and it kept things super organized!

Kelly Anne McKinley
Kelly Anne McKinley

Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:40 AM

Hi Sayde, I find it extremely beneficial to keep a science notebook/journal. I am studying to be a teacher and in my teaching science class we keep a science journal. I think it is a great way to stay organized and reflect, because in our journals we take class observational notes on experiments and activities we do in class, we write down any questions that our professor wants us to respond to, and we write a reflection after each class on things that we learned, enjoyed, and would use in the future as a science teacher. I have also observed science classrooms that use science journals and the kids seem to really enjoy working with them because they like to write down their predictions, collect data, and write down their results. The students use these journals throughout every science lab, but they also use it during their science lessons to write down vocabulary words, or to take notes throughout the lesson. I find that if the journal is divided into sections it's easier for the kids to use the journals and stay organized. Hope this helps. :)

Sabrina Castro
Sabrina Castro

Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 PM

In this NSTA blog, a teacher shares her experiences: Interactive Science Notebooks

Mary B

Mary Bigelow
Mary Bigelow

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:34 PM

Hello!
I am currently student teaching in a 2nd grade classroom. My CT uses science notebooks just as a person would use notebook paper. Anything the students do related to science, they will paste in their note book; anytime they need to record something (thoughts, data, etc.), they will do so in their notebooks; or any thoughts the students have, they will jot down in this book. It works as a way of organizing the students learning process. I have even seen some teachers divide the book into sections by merely putting a tab on a new page whenever a new unit is started. It really depends on what works well for you and your students.

Sara Gerke
Sara Gerke

Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:57 PM

I love the idea of science interactive notebooks, but I am concerned with at what grade to start using them effectively?

Jamie Fingleman-Soileau
Jamie Fingleman- Soileau

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:42 PM

Any grade level can use science interactive notebooks effectively. The key to using them effectively in the classroom is knowing how to implement them effectively.

Maria Isabel Carrillo
Maria Isabel Carrillo

Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:59 PM

I also like the idea of science notebooks as I think writing is a powerful tool and can be integrated with any subject but I am also concerned at what grade level they would be developmentally appropriate for students. I have seen people say that they can be implemented at any grade. If so, can anyone give an example for kindergarten or 1st grade?

Jorge Armenta
Jorge Armenta

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:59 AM

I have the same question. My CT used them last year and she said she didn't like it because it was just a place for them to keep their things. I thought well if all it does was hold their assignment why would I use them in my own kindergarten class, wouldn't it take up time to have them cut and paste (especially at this grade). I would really like to know if it is developmentally appropriate for Kinder because what I've heard doesn't sound good! I need a lot more convincing, at least for the lower grades, because I can see how beneficial they can be in the higher grades if used correctly, we use them in our own college courses and not just in science, and they worked great.

Jessica Martinez
Jessica Martinez

Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:25 AM

I've only seen the notebooks being used in second grade and above, but I think they could be incorporated at any age. The point is to get the students accustomed to using the notebook for studying or refreshing their memory about certain topics. It depends on what the teacher wants to put in the notebooks. For younger grades I think having notebooks for centers is pretty beneficial. If the students have their centers notebooks for science, they can briefly reflect on what they learned during the center or even any questions they have. For lower grades, I would expect shorter answers.

Kayla Luna
Kayla Luna

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:41 AM

Many know that regardless of the age, individuals tend to rely on some form of anecdotal recording in order to understand and recall it in the future.  An example is college students writing notes on sheets of paper or index cards, versus scientists through numerical and symbolic representation on computers.  Science notebooks are nearly a handy tool that students can easily use for their learning. Therefore, treat it as you would if yours; let them write their notes as desired, but that notes must be taken in some manner or another.  Allowing free-choice personalizes the decision in enriching information however to make it more interesting and meaningful to them.

Alexsandra Batard
Alexsandra Batard

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:47 PM

I found this awesome blog on how to use interactive science notebooks in the classroom. She also has a Teachers Pay Teachers link where you can buy the interactive science notebooks that she created!

Jaclyn Lawrence
Jaclyn Lawrence

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:46 PM

I have seen interactive notebooks used in class rooms that I have done field hours in, and loved them. I have also experienced an introduction to them and hands on practice in one of my early childhood college classes. I feel they are a great resource for students to use, look back on to remember information, and great to study from. Plus the hands on approach, I feel, helps students retain information better. My daughter is 11 and this past school year she had one in science and social studies. She frequently referenced them while doing homework and studying. There are many great online resources to get you started in your own classroom. Pinterest has many templates based on subject and topic, as does teacherspayteachers. The website http://sciencespot.net/Pages/ISNinfo.html gives you help for hints, resources, examples, and frequently asked questions. Great resource!

Brooke Copeland
Brooke Copeland

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:50 PM

I have used science interactive notebooks with students as young as kindergarten. While we used them for a series of three lessons and not the entire school year, I am still sure that they would have been a beneficial aspect in the classroom throughout the whole year. I think that the key to using science notebooks, and any classroom materials for that matter, is consistency. I remember being very excited in elementary school as I was preparing all of my notebooks for each subject. At the end of the year I would only have ten pages of my science notebook filled out and it simply felt like a waste of a notebook. I definitely plan on using notebooks and interactive notebooks with my future students. I am currently taking classes to teach fourth and fifth grade and can really visualize what a great resource these would be with the older elementary grades. Good luck!

Jane Brooker
Jane Brooker

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:05 PM

Your thinking is right on! Science notebooks can be an important tool in science instruction. Consistency is also important. I taught grades 4-6 for many years and it was very exciting to see the growth in students' scientific understanding . the evidence of that growth is right there in their science notebook. The science notebook is also a great tool to share with parents to show them how their child is progressing in science . I have attached a few resources people might find helpful.

Kathy

Attachments

Kathy Renfrew
Kathleen Renfrew

Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:56 PM

Kathleen,
Thanks for sharing the resources on notebooking in science. In the powerpoint you shared, there are two slides that contain the following: WDWWWWWH?

Could you explain what that means? I'm thinking maybe it starts with "What Do We Want . . ." but I can't figure out the rest of it, and googling the phrase didn't turn up anything. Thanks!

Rita Hulsman
Rita Hulsman

Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:51 PM

Hello!
I am currently a pre-service teacher and have just started my Teaching Science course. One of the very first topics we discussed was science notebooking! I immediately fell in love with the idea of letting students informally record their thoughts and findings during class! Some of the key aspects of a science notebook we talked about were things such as creating a table of contents in the first few pages of the notebook. This allows students to easily find a specific lab or assignment they did without spending forever flipping through pages. Another great idea we talked about to include in the notebooks was a 'Line of Learning.' At the end of a lab or assignment after the students have made predictions and then made their conclusions, students are asked to draw a line across the page and write what they have learned that may have been different than what they had originally predicted at the beginning of the lesson. This allows the students to reflect on their prior thoughts and their new knowledge.
Good luck!!

Meagan Johnson
Meagan Johnson

Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:56 PM

Hello,

I am currently doing my first semester of student teaching and my partner's CT uses notebooks for science. I think that it is a great way for students to have a place to put all their work in without losing it as well. Most of the students seems to enjoy it because when it is science time they know to pull out their green journal. All of their work is kept in one journal making it easier for the teacher to grade as well. As long as, students are able to keep up with their journal and know where most things are. It should be easy for both the students and teachers.

Susan Nguyen
Susan Nguyen

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:15 PM

I started using interactive notebooks in class last year and I have grown to love them. Teaching at an alternative school I have a high occurrence of absenteeism and students who simply lack resources. By using the notebooks the students have a consistent source of paper to complete tasks with, they have all their notes and pertinent work in one place, and the students can easily see what tasks are missing when pages are blank.

Jasmine Anderson
Jasmine Anderson

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:31 PM

Interactive notebooks are beneficial for students of all grade levels and they can also be used in almost any content area. Students can keep their interactive notebooks throughout the school year to go back and reflect on covered materials. In their notebook students can complete assignments, write down observations, and keep their written reflections.

Anisa Cummings
Anisa Cummings

Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:07 AM

Hello Jessica,
I agree that the interactive notebooks are more productive with higher grades because it involves a certain level of independence keeping up with the entries. I am student teaching a fourth grade class and the students often have to write their own responses and make study guides. The students are responsible for making entries as study guides for tests, and it means that students have to be on top of their notebooks. Without a certain level of maturity and understanding it might be harder for younger students to keep up with one. Instead of having an interactive notebook for younger kids, a folder with all the work samples might be better.

Farah Aziz
Farah Aziz

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21 PM

I would agree with using notebooks with older grades

Diane Soto