Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:55 PM

As many of you know some students are not science people and do not like it what so ever. What is a way to make science more fun to them and get full class participation for all students so that a lesson goes smoothly?

Breana Jones
Breana Jones

Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:20 PM

I have found that when a science lesson is hands on, that students get extremely excited and want to participate in the lesson. Also, it helps if the teacher models her own excitement about the project. That will usually get student interest in the lesson.

Nicolette McWatters
Nicolette Chetta

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:56 PM

In college my favorite part about my science class is that it is HANDS ON! Something that is hands on and lets you explore has your attention. You are not simply memorizing something, but you are discovering on your own with your teacher assisting you.

Virginia E Lopez
Virginia E Lopez

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:10 AM

It might be helpful to try to get a sense of other topics your students may be interested in. Finding ways to integrate topics such as history, social justice or literature into your lesson could help engage students in science through subjects they may enjoy more. For example, I've had students who've expressed to me that they really liked history and English classes because they make the topics into a story. So when the class was to learn about standing waves the following week, I found a way to incorporate some historical context and story-telling into the lesson. Even something as simple as standing waves can have a really complex and interesting story behind it if you just dig a little deeper. Attached is the lesson plan I made as a one-day activity to help engage students about standing waves. I hope you find this helpful!

Attachments

Zachary Sweger
Zachary Sweger

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:11 PM

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:20 PM

I think that in general, the best way to get students to have fun is to model having fun doing science! If the students see you not enjoying the activity, then they probably won't!

A question I have is what are some of the most fun science lessons that you can remember, that have stuck with you for years?

Emily Ward
Chase Burnett

Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:26 PM

I usually start with a quick video clip, a demonstration to catch attention, a group inquiry, of a mystery question. This way they buy in to the fun and then are already in deep when you have to work.

Kate Tummino
Kate Tummino

Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:55 PM

I think that demonstrations are another great engagement tool. There are many inexpensive things (such as a Newton's cradle) that students love to interact with, yet can help demonstrate concepts.

Steve Kirsche
Stephen Kirsche

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:22 AM

Investing in some manipulatives that can be used over and over would be a good idea. Having games for even the boring things such as vocabulary. There is a game called "SWAT" in which students swat the correct vocabulary word on a Powerpoint or other type of document projector. This activity is fun and competitive and really gets students remembering vocabulary. You can also make the questions more difficult and less difficult to differentiate based on students needs.

Yolanda Garza
Yolanda Garza

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:01 PM

I think one of the best ways to make science more fun to them and get full class participation for all students so that a lesson goes smoothly is by making sure the lesson is engaging, making the lesson inquirized can create an engaging lesson that forces the students to participate and stay engaged.

Sabrina Castro
Sabrina Castro

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:47 PM

One thing I do, is ask show an ambiguous picture of the content I'm about to teach. I then ask them what's happening and where is it?  They have to write their thoughts down first, then share and justify their thoughts. If the picture is intriguing, it gets them really hooked.

Jennifer Basalari
Jennifer Basalari

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:29 PM

I believe students will be more engaged in science if it touches topics that they are interested in. For instance, planning lessons on science experiments on make-up (targeting high-school girls) would be interesting or the science in working out (gym, muscles, etc.) for both males and females. Basically target interesting topics first then get into other things. Not all topics will catch the attention of all students, but you'd be surprised what things you can come up with to teach in your lesson plan by simply surveying students. Science is in everything (:

Elizabeth Miranda
elizabeth miranda

Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:47 PM

I think that all students can enjoy science and be science people. Children are naturally curious and they like to explore their interests. Design and adapt lessons so that they are hands on, engaging, and require problem solving. Many students do not enjoy science because they just read a textbook and do worksheets. This isn't benefiting anyone. Provide them with opportunities to be problem solvers and engineers. Try starting a lesson like this instead of telling them the facts or about a certain theory. Let them figure it out on their own first and then have a class discussion. After this, you can add to their learning and tell them the facts and why things happen the way they do. Another thing to remember is to act excited about science yourself, even if you don't like it. Build it up and have fun with your students!

Kelsie Rodman
Kelsie Rodman

Mon May 15, 2017 1:06 PM

On top of making the lesson hands on, I always found that making a lesson relatable or personal keeps students' interest up. Most students want to know why they should care about something. Try to answer that question before it comes up.

Adam Rader