Goal: Ways to Effectively use Technology to Enhance Student Learning
Beta Project: Building a Global Curriculum with NOAA's Large Marine Ecosystems Programs
- Incorporating technology into the curriculum
- Supporting key components of learning
- Common formative assessments, frequent feedback and student recognition
- Create a natural desire to learn
- Open 24 hours (yikes, is this a good thing?)
- Project based curriculum linked to real world concerns
- The benefit of incorporating technology into the curriculum is unlimited resources at your finger tips.
- The benefit of supporting key components of learning are inquiry based; active student engagement; cooperative learning within a variety of groups (classroom-to-classroom at the local, national and global levels); managing their own learning experiences; developing critical thinking skills; connecting to experts in the field itself; etc…
- The benefit of common formative assessments, frequent feedback and recognition is the building of self-confidence.
- The benefit of creating a desire to learn is developing the internal passion to become a life learner; develop self-directed learning skills; student ownership to their learning; and becoming committed citizens on the local and global level.
- The benefit of a 24 hours access to your learning is learning when you want or so inspired; such as, the pizza and soda group that hangs out after school and wants to talk to their peers in another country to solve or share an idea they just thought of.
- The benefits of being a real project based program are a natural desire to comprehend and develop their analysis and problem-solving skills. And, as a real world application the students will be working individually or in teams to find, process, and synthesize information of real major global concerns that ultimately benefit them and their (our)future.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and possibly want to join in. C. Rubin 8/4/2011
If this intrigues you, please inquire about more information! We are a group of teachers or professionals in the field of education and learning who are exploring a new way for students to learn. Ultimately we wish to enhance teaching & learning for everyone.
Please feel free to join our weekly Skype chats: Wednesdays 8PM EST or post your comments here or e-mail us or check out our on-going Wiki.