Early Childhood

1st Grade Activities

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:13 PM

I would love to learn about engaging and fun science activities for 1st graders!

Danielle Cavazos
Danielle Cavazos

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:58 PM

I think one way to do this would be by knowing your students and what interests them. At this age students are curious so they would be eager to learn!

Marcella Rodriguez
Marcella Rodriguez

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:46 AM

I found this website with some pretty neat science activities!

www.playdoughtoplato.com

Kristina Sanchez
Kristina Sanchez

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:15 PM

Me too! Early childhood needs more science!

Roxanne Daeley
Roxanne Daeley

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:07 AM

In my opinion I will consider hands on activities. Usually science give us the advantage to make activities out of everything. For example a 1st grader will be exited observing the characteristics of a butterfly and feeling like a real life scientist.

Sofia Cano
Sofia Cano

Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:36 PM

Hello Kristina. In Texas children learn about clouds in first grade. I saw an activity that used shaving cream in a jar to represent the different types of clouds. I also think you need food coloring. You can find the exact materials on Pinterest. Basically it is a hands on way to provide students with a visual of various clouds. Also shaving cream is usually inexpensive. Another option is to teach moon phases with oreo cookies. Not sure what you are looking for but I hope that helps. I always check pinterest for fun ideas.

Naomi Bourrous
Naomi Bourrous

Today, 9:32 AM

The best way to engage your students is to know where their interests lie. Once you have figured that out then you can design your lesson plan accordingly. I know my students love songs, so every time I teach them a new concept for example, seasons I show my students a song about seasons on YouTube. I even made a foldable with my students once but they did not like that. This way I found out what my students like to do and what they do not. I also made a PowerPoint game for the students in which they had clues and the students had to guess what season it is. The students really liked that. So it all depends on what is interesting for the students. Some students will like something and others will not. You just have to see what works for your class. My students also like reading about a particular topic or watching an informational video about it that is age appropriate.

Shirin Nayani