Elementary Science

Student Teaching

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:03 PM

Hi I'm Erica,

I'm currently a student teacher and for my science methodology class, I have to create a 5E lesson plan.I'm going according to the TEKS for Kindergarten and I wanted to do TSW explore interactions between magnets and various materials. I've been looking around and found some interesting ways to teach magnets to students and I was wondering if any one have any tips or suggestions they would like to offer me about other strategies or activities I can do. Thanks!

Erica Ramirez
Erica lynn Ramirez

Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:42 PM

As a literature link to your science unit, you might enjoy the book What Makes A Magnet? I used to have my students build a compass using a magnetized needle that we would float in water using either cork or styrofoam.

Carrie LaFay
Carrie LaFay

Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:49 PM

Hi Erica,

Wonderful that you are student teaching in a kindergarten. There are some resources here in the learning center which might help you plan out your lesson. One strategy you might using to find out what your students understanding about magnetic properites. You might consider these two formative assessment probes by Page Keeley.
Big & Small Magnets
The purpose of the assessment probe, in this chapter, is to elicit children’s ideas about magnets. The probe is designed to reveal children’s ideas about the strength of a magnet in relation to the size of the magnet.
Magnets in Water
The purpose of this assessment probe is to elicit students' ideas about magnetism. The probe is specifically designed to determine whether students believe air is necessary for magnets to work.

Here is an activity from Peggy Ashbrook with a great review about it
The Early Years: More than Messing Around with Magnets
T[i]he article addresses misconceptions that we may harbor based on our comments. For example, saying that magnets attract metal objects may imply to younger students that all metals have magnetic properties. By allowing them to experiment with aluminum and brass objects, they will quickly see that to be incorrectly stated. The author provides a magnet activity teachers can use with their young students and a list of resources on the topic. The Internet link to the Exploratorium did not seem to work, but this one will get you there: http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/ Peggy Ashbrook is a regular contributor to the Children and Science journal. I have enjoyed and appreciated reading her many articles

Let us know if you find this resources useful for your lesson

My best, Arlene JL

Arlene Jurewicz-Leighton
Arlene Jurewicz Leighton

Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:47 AM

I am currently student teaching in kindergarten too! I wanted to teach a lesson on magnets but could not find what I thought would be age appropriate for this age group. Thank you for share all this wonderful information.

Have a wonderful Day!

Kandida Brooks
Kandida Brooks

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:16 PM

Thank you for this information! I have been trying to find good lessons and activities on magnetism so this is wonderful!

Evelyn Truong
Evelyn Truong

Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:59 PM

Thank you so much! I've check those resources out! I'm excited and can't wait to try them out.

Erica Ramirez
Erica Ramirez

Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:53 PM

This is some great information! Thank You Arlene for posting this reply. I am a student teacher as well and I am always looking for great lessons for future opportunities!

Amanda Marshall
Amanda Marshall

Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:35 PM

I too am a student teacher, thanks for the great resources! My daughter did an awesome experiment in school with magnets and cereal. They took a plastic sandwich bag and smashed Cheerios up in it. They added water and made a slimy solution. Next, they took a magnet and gently ran it back and fourth across the top of the bag. The iron in the cereal separated and the magnet pulled it to the top of the bag. The iron looked like small slithers of metal. I thought this was a neat activity and wanted to share.
Good Luck!