Life Science

Physiology/Anatomy Project Ideas?

Thu May 02, 2013 7:34 PM

Hello Life Science Educators,

I am about to start my physiology/anatomy unit to finish out the year in my biology class and I wanted to see what everyone else does and if you have any project suggestions.

What I have done the past three years is teach about homeostasis and overall introduce the various body systems doing short sensory activities and then in groups students choose a body system and research and present their system to the class. Then we do a dissection at the end of the unit.

From the past couple of years I don't really find student projects that they present to the entire class real beneficial or an effective learning tool. It is pretty much lecturing, and most of the student's presentations are not.... really entertaining. I totally believe presentation skills need to be developed in students and this is one way to do that, but how else can my students learn about the body systems and then teach each other?

My students have been creating digital stories and making movies all year on my class set of iPads, but I wanted to challenge them a bit more for this final project. One idea I have is for each group to contribute to a class webpage.

Has anyone had students build a webpage? What other ideas so you have or what have you done for your physiology/anatomy unit in regards to group investigations or projects?

I appreciate your feedback and suggestions!

Robert Hoffman
Robert Hoffman

Fri May 03, 2013 12:31 AM

As a summative assessment, students will have to create their own personal health newsletter. They need to at least write 8 different stories. I leave it up to them which media they want to use. They will also need to involve their families in the project through interviews, family events and health histories. Last year, I asked them to choose one particular organ system for their newsletters. But this year they can choose whether they want to focus on one or multiple topics.

For the individual lessons, whenever I introduce a new topic, I create a narrative around it--it is usually a real world application that they can relate to. For example, we discussed the skin in relation to skin cancer ( connecting to melanin), tattoos ( parts of the skin/ ink deposited on the dermis) and pimples ( sebaceous glands, sweat glands and hair follicles--with connections to the immune system). The learning activities stem and build upon this narrative. With tattoos, as a hook, they watched a short video on tattoing, followed by creating their "science" tattoo. Then I gave them a short reading from the NY times to annotate. This was followed by a short 3 slide ppt on tattoos * 5-7 min. Then they had to create their T-charts on the pros and cons of tattooing. In groups they had to discuss their T-charts followed by making decisions citing sources. Everyone then had to put up their decisions on our interactive wall. They also had to explain briefly what their decisions were and why. Then, we also had a short class debrief at the end.

Mary Ann NG
Mary Ann Ng

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 PM

Great ideas Mary.

Romunda Hamilton
Romunda Hamilton

Fri May 03, 2013 11:32 AM

Thank you for your suggestions Mary! I really admire how well you make the topics relevant to your students lives. The health article is a great idea, great application. How long do you plan for this unit? Do you do this series of activities for each body system?

Thanks again.

Rob

Robert Hoffman
Robert Hoffman

Fri May 03, 2013 7:53 PM

I had my students in Anatomy & Physiology do a WikiPage for diseases. Although this was geared towards 11-12 grade students, it could certainly be modified for other levels. You could also have students research a specific organ or a system in general. I had the students develop test/quiz questions over their page. I then combined their questions into an "open-computer" test. They could use their classmates' WikiPages to answer the questions. I threw in a few of my own questions as well to make certain they were getting the main points.
On my own Wikispace, I kept a list of links to all of the WikiPages sorted by class period.
The students seemed to really enjoy working on their sites and presenting their products. Some came up with some really creative presentations - game show quizzes (with prizes even!), raps, songs, models - none of which was required.
I've attached copies of the handouts I used if you want them. :)

My Class Projects - Human Diseases Wiki Pages Collection
(8 items)
Creating_a_Wiki_Page.doc
     -User Uploaded Resource
Creating_Your_WikiPage.doc
     -User Uploaded Resource
Human_Diseases_Wiki-Page_Requirements.doc
     -User Uploaded Resource

Mary Morgan
Mary Morgan

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:21 PM

This project and template are amazing! I think I may adapt it for my class's unit on neurological disorders. Thank you so much for sharing.

Jasmine Anderson
Jasmine Anderson

Sat May 04, 2013 12:24 AM

It takes me about 2 hours to prepare each lesson. The length of time spent in class per unit depends on how many California standards are included. Yes, I have done this per body system. I would like to make it more overarching and "big idea"-focused using a multi-systems approach.

Mary Ann NG
Mary Ann Ng

Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 PM

Thank you Mary Morgan for your suggestions and for sharing your collection of activities! I appreciate it. I have not looked into Wiki's before, it might be something to look at over the summer for next year, thank you for sharing. You both got me thinking and that is just what I needed.

Robert Hoffman
Robert Hoffman

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:53 PM

I love ideas posted here. Next year if you want to get away from technology have build amusement parks over the organ system that they are assigned. I teach human physiology and to one of the big projects was to design an amusement park over the digestive system. The results were amazing. I displayed them in the science hallway and sent ballots out to the teachers. The teachers and staff voted on the best overall, most detailed, most clever, most scientifically accurate etc. My principal had me leave the projects up and had the school board take a tour of the parks. They loved it. I can send you the rubric and instructions that I used if you are interested in doing a project like this.

Danielle Dace
Danielle Dace

Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 AM

I love that amusement party idea! Would you be able to post the instructions and rubric you used. I'm trying to find an idea for an end of the year assignment. Thanks!

Margaret Corrado
Margaret Corrado

Thu May 01, 2014 12:38 PM

hello, can you send me the lesson and rubric for the activity...my students will love this. thanks

Amy Stuhm
Amy Stuhm

Thu May 01, 2014 12:38 PM

Amy Stuhm
Amy Stuhm

Thu May 01, 2014 12:38 PM

Amy Stuhm
Amy Stuhm

Thu May 01, 2014 12:39 PM

Amy Stuhm
Amy Stuhm

Tue May 20, 2014 3:17 PM

I too teach A&P. i would like your information on the Amusement Park Project.

Yolanda Thomas
Yolanda Thomas

Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:47 PM

I love this idea! This is my first year teaching A&P and this sounds fun. Would you mind sending me the information on the amusement park/digestive system idea?
Thank you!

Jenifer Schlosser
Jenifer Schlosser

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:01 AM

if anyone received danielle's instructions and rubric would you please forward to me: michael.seifert@weschools.org
thanks

Michael Seifert
Michael Seifert

Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:55 AM

Could you please send me the rubric and possibly a picture. This sounds great! Rosalindrich@hotmail.com

Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:45 PM

I love the amusement park idea. I am student teaching and will be teaching about the digestive system next. I would love to receive your information for this project. Thanks.

Kari Etherington
Kari Etherington

Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:37 PM

I would love that information please!!!

JESSICA DELBOVE
JESSICA DELBOVE

Tue May 03, 2016 12:09 AM

Hi,
Can I get a copy of your project? It sounds great! Thanks.

Cheryl Bayley
Cheryl Bayley

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:36 PM

Hi Danielle! I know this is much after you posted but I would love the rubric and instructions for this project. It sounds amazing! sienalang@gmail.com

Thank you!!

Siena Lang
Siena Lang

Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:03 AM

I am teaching the digestive unit to my Anatomy students in May and I am looking for creative, interactive ways to to so. I would love more information about the amusement park that you created with your students.

Thanks so much.

Suzanne Hulbert
Suzanne Hulbert

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 AM

Hi! I know it’s been a few years but I’d love to receive the information for this assignment. Msharris.sciencewsh2017@gmail.com

Sherita Harris
Sherita Harris

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:49 PM

Hi Danielle,

I would be interested in having you can post your rubric, etc. to this thread, if you would be willing. It sounds like a very creative project. It might be nice if you included a picture of your students' work, too. Please share, if you don't mind.

Ruth Hutson
Ruth Hutson

Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:57 PM

Robert:
You have got to look at the NSTA Press book called "Diagnosis for Classroom Success: Making Anatomy + Physiology Come Alive."
It is a role playing curriculum that students will love and learn from. Best of all, you are the facilitator as they take on their own learning.
I reviewed the book and wished that I was teaching a similar course so I could use it.
Adah

Adah Stock
Adah Stock

Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:53 PM

Danielle,

I'd love to see your project as well. It sounds fun! Did you happen to take any photos of your students' projects?

Mary Morgan
Mary Morgan

Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:42 PM

Danielle,

Please share your photos and materials on the Body Systems amusement parks! They sound fantastic, and sound like something the kids would love to do for next year.

Cheska

Cheska Robinson
Cheska Lorena

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:14 PM

I could not find the exact rubric that I created for this project. I have included the source that I used to create my own rubric. My project was worth 140 points and was used as a final project for the digestive system. This would be easy to use if you want to divide the organ systems between groups and have them create an amusement park for the nervous, digestive, etc. If you do that I would recommend adding a presentation portion to the scoring guide. I hope this helps. This past year was my first year and finding resources for human physiology took up most of my time!! So please use this resource and make it better!!

Danielle Dace
Danielle Dace

Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:23 PM

Thank you so much posting your documents! I don't know if you are still teaching the course, but this is a fantastic idea and your students' projects were so creative! I would like to try this as for a PBL for the Goods and Garbage unit (digestive, respiratory and urinary systems). Mahalo!

Lenore Kop
Lenore Kop

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:04 PM

Danielle,

Thanks so much for sharing your rubric and your students' project. I like the saliva fountain best, but they are all very creative.

Ruth Hutson
Ruth Hutson

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:32 PM

A and P projects.
1. I create a corporation. STudents are divided into groups and represent a team working together to solve a problem. Last year we created OsteoETCA (our school is ETCA). The imaginary issue was that overall bone is not optimal for its function. Yes, way on the wide open side. Groups appointed a team leader to report to the CEO. The leader received updates from the CEO and groups were able to negotiate with the CEO to narrow down a more tangible problem. Groups had to teach themselves bone structure/function and apply related to the issue to be solved. They had to create prototypes, develop a marketing proposal, etc... Probably the most learning that has ever taken place in my classroom.
2. Health Fair. I try to make A and P relevant to my students' current life and that of their future. We host a health fair. Students may work alone or in pairs and must become experts in the system of their choice (but I limit to integumentary, and two special senses (seeing and hearing)). I am always blown away. Many make exquisite models to have. Some have interviews with professional playing, etc....) They are graded by my peers who have been provided with a rubric.
3. Children's book. STudents approach elementary teachers and learn which systems they may be studying for the eyar. Students then go through the writing process to create a book that is appropriate (age/topics...) for a given grade. STudents share the book with the selected class.
4.Pick a condition and support it. We have students at our school that have chronic diseases. We very respectfully select one, learn about it, and find ways to be encouraging and support that person or a group that would benefit.

Dana Wade
dana wade

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:20 PM

This may not be a project but I came across an article today suggesting that the evolution of the human face was influenced by our ancestors pugilistic tendencies
[url=http://earthsky.org/human-world/human-face-evolved-to-take-a-punch?utm_source=EarthSky+News&utm_campaign=29b5045f4d-EarthSky_News&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c643945d79-29b5045f4d-394061017]Human Face Designed to Take a Punch
[/url]

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:17 PM

Hi, I took anatomy in high school and i remember my teacher giving use a project about creating your only arm. You can work in a group of 3, use any materials, and it must be able to pick up an object. This project made us identify the ligaments and main muscles used in grasping your fingers around an object. we also had to make a power point with the materials we uses and take pictures of the progress we made towards our completed project.

Fabriely Martinez
Fabriely Martinez

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:10 AM

Another idea is to have the students embark on a "Fantastic Voyage" based on the movie/book from the 60s. They have to "travel" through a patients body to destroy a blood clot in the patient's brain. Students can write a dramatic narrative or dialogue that incorporates factual information about body systems, they could write a computer program or animation about a voyage through the body, write a newspaper article, etc.

Eric Roth