Early Childhood

Lesson Plan Ideas

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 AM

I am preparing a lesson plan on lunar phases. I was wondering if anyone would be able to suggest ways to make the lesson interesting and interactive?

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 PM

I would suggest that you use acronyms or come up with memorable story about the content so students can easily recall the information of the lesson.

Ayodele Shofoluwe
Ayodele Shofoluwe

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:31 PM

Hey Diane,
this is the website i use for my student teaching class to help me prepare my lesson plan. this website provided some really good activity and lesson ideas. also, this is really fun activity by using oreo cookie https://sciencebob.com/oreo-cookie-moon-phases/ . my mentor teacher used this in her 5th grade class.

Fei Zhao
fei zhao

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:35 PM

Hello Diane,

I do not know what grade level you are preparing for but, I am student teaching a 4th grade Math and Science class. I am also preparing a lesson lunar phases. I will be including a sorting activity and a fold-able. I will also be a including an activity where the students will each create 3 of the lunar phases using Oreo cookies. The students can remove the top of the Oreo and using a spoon they can shape the cream to reflect a particular moon phase. Perhaps, this may be a fun activity that you can have you kiddos complete.

Isabel Asker
Isabel Asker

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:50 PM

I will be teaching 3rd grade and these ideas would be great to use!

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:19 AM

In addition to making models of the lunar phases with paper and cookies, a fun and interactive way to learn about the moon is for the entire class to make observations of the moon during the daytime.
Continue making observations for several months before having students model their observations and make sense of them.
Children love to be like real scientists and make real observations! If you have binoculars, and your children are developmentally ready to use them, they can see the craters and compare what they see to a map of the moon to see if they could locate specific features.

Peggy Ashbrook
Margaret Ashbrook

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:55 PM

My daughter had to observe and draw the moon for a month. I have never seen her engaged with her homework like that before.

Hadeel Alrubaye Barries