Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:04 AM

I don't know about you but I am addicted to Pinterest! I have found so many wonderful educational resources and ideas on there. I found that there are so many Language Arts as well as Math ideas on Pinterest but has anyone found good science pins?

Courtney Fullmer
Courtney Fullmer

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:41 PM

Pinterest is amazing! Great resource for those days that you just can not think clearly!

Karol Galindo
Karol Galindo

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:17 PM

Oh yes! Pinterest is one of the best app I ever use. It's full of new and different things. There are many science work stuff there as well just have to search and it will appear.

Shamama Nargis
Shamama Nargis

Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:29 PM

There are so many ideas on pinterest I can hardly contain my excitement!! It is my go-to when I am looking for something creative. What in the world did we do before pintrest?? I bought lots of idea book before and now all my ideas are in these awesome, organized boards that are not taking up space in my house!! LOVE IT!!

Amy Specht
Amy Specht

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:13 PM

I also love Pinterest. And I think it is a great idea to use for classroom ideas, and I have even found lesson plan and activity ideas. It also makes for a great resource for how to personalize your classroom.

Madelyn Siegismund
Madelyn Siegismund

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:55 PM

I love pinterest! It is a good resource to find creative teacher ideas!

Paulita Garcia
Paulita Garcia

Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:07 PM

Pinterest is the best! I have been able to use it to find activities for almost all subjects. I actually just taught a lesson over the three states of matter and found the lesson Pinterest. It was a root beer float experiment. I have also scrolled past some cool experiments and investigations that are hands on for science too!

An Nguyen
An Nguyen

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:14 AM

I agree with you! Pinterest is my best friend! :)

Andrea Velazquez
Andrea Velazquez

Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:05 PM

I agree that pinterest is a good course! I find that it is better to use pinterest as a starting point rather than something you just use. Whenever I am stuck and can't come up with ideas, I scroll the pinterest it and it tends to spark ideas where I can then take that lesson or activity and modify to my own liking as well as my students!

Laura Dang
Laura Dang

Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:36 PM

I agree that Pinterest is a really great source, especially for creative projects. However, I feel like it is very limiting in the instructional aspect sometimes. It is more for projects that look nice than to teach something of value.

Tina La
Tina La

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:16 AM

I find many worksheets but ot full science lessons. Usually I find things when I search specific subjects and grade levels. I tend to find worksheets, pictures, and occasionally books. But, like I said, I usually have to search by subject as well as grade level.

Erin Jasso
Erin Jasso

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:59 AM

Pinterest is a great tool for teachers. There are lesson ideas on pretty much every subject imaginable. Not only is it great for lessons but it will lead you down a path of finding great websites you would never have stumbled upon otherwise.

Edith Heppe
Edith Heppe

Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:01 PM

Hi Courtney,
I like Pinterest too, especially when people give some details about the science concepts involved. The National Association for the Education of Young Children has a members' Early Childhood Science Interest Forum, the ECSIF. And we have a Pinterest account at http://pinterest.com/ecisf/
Peggy

Peggy Ashbrook
Margaret Ashbrook

Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:40 PM

Great news! I love pinterest and will definitely start following that board!

Angie Kennedy
Angie Kennedy

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:36 AM

Peggy, thank you for sharing! I love the idea of using pinterest ideas in my future classroom and will file this away as a resource!

Lauren Price
Lauren Price

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:43 PM

Hello Courtney,
Through my experience pinning I have found a lot of good resources by simply searching the word science. I have found fun experiments to use on various topics including solubility with http://mumsmakelists.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/10-magic-potions.html, unique creations for discussion topics with http://www.science-sparks.com/2013/03/20/science-magic-2/, and a fun way to teach kids about different properties using glowing materials to make it entertaining for the kids with http://www.growingajeweledrose.com/2012/05/mad-science-lab-f...tion.html. If you are looking for more ideas I suggest using the search bar on Pinterest to search science and see what fun experiments and resources you can find!

Rachel Lopez
Rachel Lopez

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:35 AM

Thanks for these great ideas on fun experiments! I think it's really important to incorporate as many new hands-on concepts and engaging activities as possible in the science classroom. Students love to witness these chemical reactions and I agree that Pinterest is an excellent resource for new, inventive science lesson and experiment ideas on a variety of topics!

Samantha Passantino
Samantha Passantino

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:15 AM

Thank you for sharing these ideas!! :)

Andrea Velazquez
Andrea Velazquez

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:45 AM

Hi Courtney,

Like Peggy and Rachel, I have found several excellent teaching ideas on Pinterest. Here's a sample of returns from a keyword search on Science. One of the things that I like best about Pinterest is that I can find other resources on the internet and save them to my boards on Pinterest. This make it easy for me to find great resources on the web, and then have one collective place where I can organize and easily find all of my discoveries. For more information on how to pin resources you find online, click here.

Best of luck in your search for great resources!

Maureen

Maureen Stover
Maureen Stover

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 PM

I also use pinterest for a lot of ideas to use in my lesson plans and future classroom (I am still a student). I found great ideas on science experiments by searching for discrepant events. I also found a lot of activity ideas on there for a unit plan I am doing on the life cycle of frogs. Another great thing is that you can create boards specific to any topic, for example I have board specific to my frog life cycle unit plan. It also segments you into other teacher’s websites and blogs which can be excellent recourses for ideas and information as well.

Happy Pinning!!

Nicole White

Nicole White
Nicole White

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:28 AM

I love pinterest as well. I follow science with kids and there are a lot of ideas that can be utilized in the classroom. It's very nice to hear that NSTA has a forum on pinterest. I will definitely check that out!!!

Angela Cho
Angela Cho

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:47 PM

Hi Courtney,

I am currently a student and pinterest has been so helpful when coming up with lesson plan ideas. Pinterest can be used for all subject areas. A few things I have found when using pinterest to find lesson ideas in science include plant life, discrepant events, and ideas on teaching weather patterns to students. I love this idea on teaching younger students about clouds; http://pinterest.com/pin/42643527694178039/ Hope some of these suggestions are helpful!

Brittany

Brittany Phillips
Brittany Phillips

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:51 PM

Courtney,

I, too, am addicted to Pinterest! I am currently a student studying to be an elementary education teacher. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that Pinterest had a lot to offer in the area of Education; in fact, they even have their own tab! I've found a lot of great classroom management strategies as well as math and language arts ideas. I'm not sure what grade level your looking for science lessons in, but I found a couple of things pertaining to the life cycle of a butterfly. Below are the links:

I also found a neat link to making "rock candy":

Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn DaMore
Jacquelyn DaMore

Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:27 PM

Jacquelyn,

It is so wonderful to hear that so many pre-service teachers are connecting on a topic I enjoy greatly. Pinterest has numerous resources that are beneficial to teachers. In fact, they even offer advice for your first year teaching. Simp lying searching your lessons concept on Pinterest will provide you with a collection of great ideas. I have done activities to teach the water cycle from Pinterest suggestions. I have also created slime and lava lamps for fun with students. They loved it!

Jessica Mulet
Jessica Mulet

Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:06 AM

Like everyone else who replied, I too, am guilty of being addicted to Pinterest! I find myself on Pinterest whenever I get stuck on a lesson plan! I found a few ideas that are great for science lessons:
The first link, http://www.nature-watch.com/weather-window-cloud-identificat...h=142_143,' target="_blank">http://www.nature-watch.com/weather-window-cloud-identificat...h=142_143, is of a cloud detector. The students hold up this frame-like object to figure out what cloud type they see outside.
This link, http://www.nature-watch.com/weather-window-cloud-identificat...h=142_143,' target="_blank">http://www.nature-watch.com/weather-window-cloud-identificat...h=142_143, is a great way to show the food chain using stacking cups.
This link, http://media-cache-ec3.pinterest.com/originals/bb/e3/02/bbe3...bcd2e.jpg, is a fun way to show what a butterfly looks like at different stages of life using pasta.
This last link, http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/originals/86/39/9c/8639...ab2c1.jpg, shows how rain falls when clouds get too heavy.
Pinterest is full of awesome ideas! I hope the ones I shared can help. Enjoy!

Ashley Behringer
Ashley Behringer

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 PM

Hello Courtney Fullmer, their is you have to go under food and you will see different things in science that has food. Also it is cool and their are good ideas to use for your classroom and different project you can use to do with your students

Samba, Marie

Marie Samba
Marie Samba

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:43 PM

Thank you all for your wonderful replies! I've found some awesome life cycle pins, which I will be using in the next few weeks! I also wanted to ask about apps for iPads. Our school recently bought every teacher one iPad to use in the classroom. I have been using the iPad mostly hooked up to the Elmo, which then projects to a big screen that all the students can see. I've of course found a ton of alphabet and counting apps but not a whole of of science ones. I'm looking at buying Sid the Science kid app, has anyone used it yet? Are there other hidden science apps that others would be willing to share?!?!

Courtney Fullmer
Courtney Fullmer

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:19 PM

I love Pinterest and feel that I am quite addicted like the rest of you ;) Anyway, I have found a couple of really cool experiments to do with children to get them thinking. A lot of the activities are very fun too! One of my favorites so far is a colored xylophone using glow sticks and glasses. It is a spin on the classic spin of the water xylophone making it even more exciting and enticing for children. I have yet to try it, but I know that the kids will love it! It would be a great one for discussing sound and sound waves with your students!! I hope you found a lot of good stuff on Pinterest. I will definitely be using Pinterest as a great teacher resource!!

Micki Bowman
Micki Bowman

Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:19 PM

Micki Bowman
Micki Bowman

Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 PM

I have never played with Pininterest; I did not realize it could provide useful teaching resources. I will have to check it out! Thank you to everyone for sharing.

Patty McGinnis
Patricia McGinnis

Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:01 AM

Does anyone have a list of criteria for assessing the science activities that are available on Pinterest or any other website? What do you look for?
Peggy

Peggy Ashbrook
Margaret Ashbrook

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 PM

Hi Peggy,

Great question! I do quite a bit of my lesson planning by searching for ideas and activities on the internet. Like all resources on the internet, you do need to be cautious of information and ideas you find online to ensure they are legitimate and valid. Here's my mental checklist that I run through when I'm evaluating an internet resource:
1. Is this an activity/resource that meets my lesson objective/goal?
2. Is this activity on grade level (or can I easily modify it)?
3. Is this activity reasonable to complete in my classroom?
4. Is this activity safe?
5. Is this activity affordable?
6. Will this activity engage my students?

Also, whenever I am downloading a resource or looking up content knowledge, I try to validate the information from several sources to ensure the information is accurate.

I'm looking forward to hearing others' thoughts on how to evaluate online resources.

Maureen

Maureen Stover
Maureen Stover

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:18 AM

Thank you Maureen for the list of questions to use when planning a lesson. Another colleague said she always asks herself, "What do I want the children to learn? What do I want the children to experience?" She says this puts the emphasis on the child, what the child will get out of the activity, and how to extend the activity so the concepts and wonderings will be considered over time, not just that day.
I love the Pinterest pins that elaborate on the why!

Peggy Ashbrook
Margaret Ashbrook

Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:09 PM

Hi Maureen,
I really liked what you said about having a mental checklist and ensuring that what we  find on the internet meets the syllabus requirement and the science theory behind it is valid. As aa pre service teacher, it did not occur to me to have a mental checklist and after reading your post, I realized that it must be a practice as a teacher not to take everything on the internet at face value.

Nancy Kaur Pak Singh
Nancy Kaur Pak Singh

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:16 AM

Hi Peggy!
Thanks for the reminder to evaluate resources. These are great questions! Thanks for sharing :)

Andrea Velazquez
Andrea Velazquez

Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:17 AM

Hi Peggy!

Andrea Velazquez
Andrea Velazquez

Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:23 PM

I am also obsessed with Pinterest! I use it as much as possible for everyday life, which includes helpful education tips. I have my own personal account and board for all my education studies. If you would like to look at it you can find me at jasvazquez5. I don't have it seperated by subjects but I have an education folder. I find the site so user friendly that by simply just searching science lessons I found a lot of great ideas. Below I have a link to the search I did as well as one website I found through the search that stuck out as extra great for me. I hope this helps!

Jasmine Benitez
Jasmine Benitez

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 PM

Thanks for the links to those resources! I will definitely be using those links for my future classroom!

Krystine Sechler
Krystine Sechler

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:14 PM

Fri May 01, 2015 1:09 AM

Michelle, love all of those ideas, especially the growing hair one. I always check Pinterest for science activities as well as other subjects. I am not that creative, so using others' creative ideas is great!

Ava Aldcroft
Ava Aldcroft

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:47 PM

These are great thank Michelle!

Emily Perez
Emily Perez

Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:43 PM

Pinterest is very addicting! I am not sure if you have ever seen this lesson https://www.pinterest.com/pin/81909286945393535/ however I did this in one of my undergrad classes and it is so cool! I found it interesting as an adult so I know the kids would love it.

Macaulay Snyder
Macaulay Snyder

Fri May 01, 2015 1:14 AM

Like all of you, I am very addicted to pinntrest! I appreciate all of your ideas and please follow me. I pin new ideas daily. Thank you

KRISTEN TROLINGER
KRISTEN TROLINGER

Fri May 01, 2015 8:48 AM

We have a very active and popular STEM Pinterest page with 21 boards and almost 6,000 followers. Our focus is only science and STEM on all of our boards with specific categories to help you find what you need. We hope you pay us a visit when your searching for ideas ( but be forewarned ...it is addictive!)

Wendy and Cheryl

Wendy Goldfein
Wendy Goldfein

Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:40 PM

Hey Wendy and Cheryl!

I have been searching Pinterest for good STEM projects. We are learning a lot about STEM right now in my class at college. As a pre-service teacher I am always looking for fun and new ideas that I could use in the future. Thank you for your share!

-Stefanie Donnelly

Stefanie Donnelly
Stefanie Donnelly

Fri May 01, 2015 6:53 PM

Pinterest is the best resource to go to in a time crunch of finding an activity!

Erin Smith
ERIN SMITH

Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:35 PM

I'm also a pinterest fan! I have found several other science teachers to follow that always have great ideas!

Kim Villarreal
Kim Villarreal

Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 PM

Wonderful! Let us know which of the boards you use are focused on which grades, and which align with the Next Generation Science Standards three dimensions of core ideas, science and engineering practices and crosscutting concepts.

Peggy Ashbrook
Margaret Ashbrook

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:51 PM

I am an avid pinterest visitor as well. My favorites are the anchor charts. My students love the anchor charts and you can make them engaging by allowing the students to draw pictures on the anchor charts. My students love anything that is hands on and allows them to present their creative side.

Kimberly McNorton
Kimberly McNorton

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:35 PM

I second the anchor charts found on Pinterest! I use them as a guide in every subject when making them with my students.

Aimee Perry
Aimee Perry

Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:40 PM

Ditto! Anytime I need an anchor chart, I will just search on Pinterest. For example, "3D Shapes Anchor Chart". I always find many great ideas!

Kim Villarreal
Kim Villarreal

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:34 PM

Yes! There are so many great ideas for interactive journaling! Do you just search pinterest or do you search and then use pinterest to "pin" your ideas? Have you checked out Teachers Pay Teachers?

Aimee Perry
Aimee Perry

Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:53 PM

Pinterest is one of my go sites for awesome ideas for everything from anchor charts to actual lessons.

Melanie Sanders
Melanie Sanders

Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:41 AM

I am currently a student studying Elementary Education, but I love looking on Pinterest for ideas to use in my future classroom. This science project for a lower elementary classroom that I found on Pinterest combines art and science into one project. The students first have to create the flower and background (art) before they move on to labeling the important aspects of the flower itself and what it needs to survive (science).

Breann Sweeney
Breann Sweeney

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:48 AM

Thanks everyone for the great Pinterest leads! I think using Pinterest is a great resource, but like anything out there on the internet, it can be a lot to wade through. I am former science teacher who is now focusing on science writing and science curriculum development. I am pinning all sorts of science activities on my Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/shareitscience/
I try my best to evaluate pages before I pin them, and some are my own articles and resources from my blog, www.shareitscience.com so hopefully you will find my board to be a good resource.
I know the Get Caught Engineering ladies spoke up earlier in this thread, they have some great Pinterest pins too!!
Good luck scientists!!

Sarah Benton Feitlinger
Sarah Benton

Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:48 PM

I love the idea of using Pinterest as a source for Science lessons and ideas. I have created a board specifically for teaching ideas. I think Pinterest provides great hands on learning ideas and lessons for students.

Paige McCullough
Paige McCullough

Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:42 PM

Yes pinterest has the best ideas for teachers. I have found it very useful in planning lessons and getting great ideas. For some good science lessons you can go to pinterest and type in science lessons. Many different creative science lessons pop up. I have found it more educational if you type in a certain subject you are looking for in a science lesson. Good Luck!

Elizabeth Folk
Elizabeth Folk

Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:51 AM

Pinterest is a great location to find fun and creative ideas for teachers. I have been able to find a wide variety of activities for the elementary level. I love the fact that teachers are able to upload their own lessons to Pinterest so that other teachers can benefit from one another. It is such a great resource! I haven't seen many full science lessons on Pinterest but rather interesting and creative experiments and activities to supplement your lessons. Happy pinning!

Kristen Starnes

Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:49 PM

Pinterest is great for finding activities for children, but are all of the experiments reliable? Has anyone found any great, reliable experiments on Pinterest or any other websites?

Jordyn Carmody
Jordyn Carmody

Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:54 PM

Our Pinterest page continues to grow with more boards and lots of STEM ideas.
Wendy
Get Caught Engineering

Wendy Goldfein
Wendy Goldfein

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:31 PM

Hello! I am currently a student and love using Pinterest for all different types of lessons. I really like how there are so many ideas for hands on science activities to do in the classroom.

My question for y'all is what has been one of your favorite science lessons you've done with your students that you found on Pinterest?

Lauren Hake
Lauren Hake

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:01 PM

I saw this experiment done in a classroom and the kids really enjoyed it! They learned about plant xylem and the colors really did show up so well in the flowers.

Chelsea Coker
Chelsea Coker

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:01 PM

I have not only found great activities for students, but I have also found creative ways to take other pins and connect them to science, making adjustments to be used in a classroom!

Paige Galbraith
Paige Galbraith

Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:10 PM

Pinterest is full of great ideas! I usually find science pins mixed into the "History" category which I have found to be mostly education pins.

Kelsey Helyer
Kelsey Helyer

Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:02 PM

Does anyone know of any good online links to use on the iPad?

Chelsea Coker
Chelsea Coker

Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:31 PM

I think Pinterest is a great resource when it comes to finding science lessons and ideas. There are so many pins out there that are ready for you to go and use in the classroom right away.Pinterest is an easy to use website and is a great way for teachers to become inspired by other teachers. What are some of the boards you have found that you believe to have some great science lessons?

Caitlin Gorse
Caitlin Gorse

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:24 PM

There are an abundance of ideas and great possible experiments or projects with a class on Pinterest. I have found several on the water cycle that I used in a Pre K class last semester.
I have used boards titled Science Ideas, Science Experiments, Kids Science Activites to name a few for you.

Danette Baker
Danette Baker

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:35 PM

Wow! I'm so excited to hear that other teachers are using pinterest as a resource. .As a future educator I am always looking for resources to use when I begin teaching. I love the multitude of educational resources on pinterest, but I have always been afraid of being made fun of because some people only view it as a social network. Anyways, I am really excited to see that other teachers and professionals use pinterest. YAY!

Anna Duran
Anna Duran

Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 PM

I have a question about the use of Pinterst as a resource. Would educators and professionals say that the activities and/or lessons on pinterest are more academically based or more "fun" activity based, or is it easy to find both?
Second question: Has any teacher had a problem with their team teachers because they find lessons on pinterest?

Anna Duran
Anna Duran

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:09 PM

What do you search under when you look at pintrest? what are the best key words?

Mollie Church
Mollie Church

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:09 PM

PINTEREST is life. SUCH a great resources for teachers!

Catalina Betancur
Catalina Betancur

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:14 PM

Pintrest is a great resource for teaching strategies and ideas. You can find anything on there!

Alyssa Dunn
Alyssa Dunn

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 PM

Pinterest is an amazing resource for science activities. Such a helpful tool for all subjects!

Judy Avellaneda
Judy Avellaneda

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:38 PM

As a preservice teacher I am constantly on Pinterest pinning ideas and lessons that I can not wait to incorporate in my classroom. I too have had similar experiences of not finding a whole of science stuff. But the ones I do find, I try to use my imagination to build off of them or if there is a literacy one I find I try to build off of it.

Kati Elmore
Kati Elmore

Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:16 PM

Hi Courtney,

I agree Pinterest is a great resource for teaching. I have found some great pins for science when I was looking for an activity for one of my lessons. There are some great posts about activities to do when discussing weather. There is even an activity I found where students can make their own clouds and rain. It was very interesting and the students love it! is there a specific area of science you were looking on pinterest for? I find that if you look up a topic and type education at the end you get better results.

Shelbi Ingle
Shelbi Ingle

Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:48 PM

pinterest is such a great resource!

Ashley Strain
Ashley Strain

Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:29 PM

I agree that Pinterest can be a great resource, but only if you know what you are looking for specifically!

Caitlin Greene
Caitlin Greene

Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:19 PM

I LOVE Pinterest! It is full of ideas, I have found many activities from there. One thing you should always do is check the source.

Megan Murray
Megan Murray

Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:12 PM

I'm also a Pinterest addict.

Shelby Thomas
Shelby Thomas

Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:15 PM

I have always wondered if its ok to use pintrest in the classroom and how much is too much. I also don't know much about it do what is the best way to find ideas. I am doing a two science lesson plan for a class I am taking at UMBC and the whole idea behind it is go big or go home. I have thought about using pintrest or even this site but was wondering if anyone had any good ideas of where to start. It can be for any grade in elementary school and my teacher has recommended starting with an idea and then going to the objectives. I would love to do something very hands on and geared to having the class outside as much as possible.

Jody Grandier
jody grandier

Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:53 PM

I definitely agree with everyone, Pinterest is an excellent source all teachers should use to integrated in their lessons.

Sandy Trejo
Sandy Trejo

Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:29 PM

Pinterest has really great ideas! However, I have also found it difficult to find good pins for students in grades 3-5.

Lisa Silva
Lisa Silva

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:36 AM

Hi Lisa,

Yes I agree with you. You have to be very specific on what you put in Pinterest because sometimes its hard to find activities related to your lesson object/TEKS.

Sandy Trejo
Sandy Trejo

Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:01 AM

I am a kindergarten teacher and one of the Science Standards is teaching about weather and its patterns. I love the finger puppet activity to reinforce and make my weather lesson fun.

I have also used Pinterest for many science experiment ideas.

Jennifer Clark
Jennifer Clark

Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:55 PM

Hi! I have found many posts about science, most of them show different kinds of activities for in class along with home activities. You just have to choose your search words wisely.

Dina Oti
Dina Oti

Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:40 PM

Hello, I have very recently learned out about Pinterest because numerous teachers at my field placement talked about it...so I had to find it for myself! Pinterest has so many teaching ideas and examples I could use for different subjects and I used one to teach language art. I think it's a great tool to use when teachers run out of ideas and etc.

Seo Yi
Seo Yi

Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 PM

Pinterest is awesome, but beware of somethings you find! Because anyone can post to pinterest and you need to be sure the facts are correct and it is plausible for your classroom. For example, I was looking at some cool STEM activities on pinterest and one came up on for making S'mores to teach chemical changes. As cool as it sounds sometimes schools don't allow outside food brought in and it could get you in a lot of trouble.

Megan Essman
Megan Essman

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:47 AM

Pinterest is super awesome! Like a teacher once told me "DONT REINVENT THE WHEEL." When I get ideas from there I tend to put my own twist to it. It helps to kind of get your idea started. Other times I completely steal the whole idea. I think it is great to have a website like this available. I am always looking for ways to spark up my lesson and we don't always have all the answers.

Maria Andrea Cobo
Maria Cobo

Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:54 AM

I haven't used Pinterest much really but I am always hearing great ideas that people find from there. It would be nice to have some interesting ways to jazz up a science lesson. I wonder about some of the activities that would be helpful for students learning about the weather cycle?

Roslyn Gainey
Roslyn Gainey

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:25 PM

I LOVE Pinterest! I have gotten many ideas there as well.

Here is a website that I have found on Pinterest with some fun hands on activities:

Ashley Morrison
Ashley Morrison

Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:08 PM

I knew Pinterest was wonderful, but I had no idea it could help with science in elementary schools.  I will definitely have to go check out what resources teachers have posted.  Thanks for the tip!

Amy Thomas
Amy Thomas

Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Yes, there are so many science ideas on Pinterest. They give you different experiments to do with you students and they even tell you all the materials you need. You can even search experiments by a specify concept topic.

Michelle Fernandez
Michelle Fernandez

Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:38 PM

Pinterest is amazing! I want to say that there are ideas on there for almost everything. From baby showers and weddings to organizational boards and science ideas (as well as science fair project ideas). This is not only helpful for educators but also makes life a lot easier for parents. I believe that it is the best way to share ideas and help others in a click of a button!

YESENIA GUEVARA
Yesenia Guevara

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 AM

Pinterest is a wonderful website for educators. It offers tips on classroom management, organization, and behavior control. On Pinterest you could also find numerous activities for children. These activities include worksheets, arts and crafts, and experiments. Pinterest leads you to the website where you can either print or buy these artifacts. Plenty of science experiments are described. The page will lead to the instructions of the hands on learning experience as well as all the materials that are needed. I have used pinterest to attain ideas for classroom lessons and it has been a great help.

Jessica Mulet
Jessica Mulet

Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:56 PM

I love Pinterest, I think this website is a great source for teachers. Pinterest offers great ideas on lessons, organization, classroom management, classroom decorations, behavior control, children games, and science experiments. Pinterest also has a variety of classroom activities for example arts and crafts, different subject worksheets, and science experiments. I have actually used pinterest for different ideas in my lesson plans this is a very helpful website and I know that I will continue to use this website in the future once I become a teacher.

Liani Pierrot
Liani Pierrot

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:24 AM

I love Pintrest as well! It is a great tool for teachers. I have a board just for elementary lesson plans. There is always something to find, if not to do the exact lesson or just give a starting idea. The only issue I have with Pintrest is that I have so many pins it is hard to navigate a specific pin I am looking for. I am only an education student and I think once I become a actual teacher I am going to have a separate Pintrest account just for my classroom, so I do not have other pins interfering.

Megan Early
Megan Early

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:16 PM

I have recently begun to use Pinterest as an inspiration for coming up with my own ideas and activities but I was worried on the correct way to cite my sources. Like each pin is from a person but sometimes if I click on a pin it leads me to an external website. Any suggestion on how to APA cite such sources?

Kathleen Castellon
Kathleen Castellon

Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:56 PM

As a young educator I feel as if Pinterest is an easy way for me to get ideas on lessons and activities to work on with my students. They have really great ideas and many teachers go on there and share as well. I think it is a valuable source for teachers and just about anyone who has a project in mind. It is always nice to get ideas and then build off of that. The resources you can find on Pinterest are endless.

Erika Gonzalez
Erika Cristina

Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:08 PM

I love Pinterest!! I have found some great science experiments and tips for teaching to the students. I would suggest creating a board for science because they suggest more boards that have great ideas.

Bethaney Jones
Bethaney Jones

Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:38 PM

There is so many great Science pins on pintrest! There are so many simple experiments that you can use in your classroom. I have used a few with my daughter who is in kindergarten and she LOVED THEM! Kids in general just love hands on activities and there are so many to find on pintrest!

Jennifer Ilant
jennifer ilant

Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:38 PM

I use pintrest 90% of the time to create my lessons! It's always so useful and gives very creative ways to make assignments! A lot of the time I just search "Science" and "Elementary" and a lot of the times I'll find some useful activities!

Kimberly Thompson
Kimberly Thompson

Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:30 AM

I am currently a student studying to be an elementary education teacher, and I love Pinterest. Anytime I was out of good ideas I found something good on Pinterest. I also like Teachers pay Teachers, especially Science Doodles are great with ideas for science lesson plans.

Gordana Andric
Gordana Andric

Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:19 PM

I'm currently an elementary education student, and am currently working on a STEM project with my 5th grade class. I found a TON of STEM lessons and activities on Pinterest. I also found several other interesting activities that I hope to use in my future classroom! :)

Melissa Oakes
Melissa Oakes

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 PM

Yes, I am also addicted to Pinterest!!! It is definitely one of the best apps ever! The site offers pictures, DIY own crafts, recipes, and more! The pins I find the most useful, as a preservice teacher, are the educational resources. There are a multitude of resources available to anyone who has an account. Teachers can find printable worksheets/handouts, activities, lesson plans, and templates for every grade level and subject area.

I would definitely recommend this website.

Cristina Carrera
Cristina Carrera

Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:08 PM

Pinterest is the greatest invention! Especially for teachers because this is a great way we can communicate as a teaching community to share and use others ideas and resources. I love that we do not have to reinvent the wheel! Another great source is Teachers Pay Teachers!!

Laquiesha Estimbo
Laquiesha Estimbo

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:45 AM

Speaking as a fellow Pinterest lover myself, I believe that Pinterest has a lot of good activities for all subjects on their website. However, I have yet to find many full lesson plans and real resources that I can access for free that I would actually be able to use as a teacher. That being said, even though the content or actual lesson plans may be lacking, I believe it is a great resource just to foster creativity and find unique ideas that other people have tried. It is a great resource to base a lesson plan off of, but may require some work and modifications.

Tori Pinkston
Tori Pinkston

Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:50 AM

Great to know! I rarely use Pinterest so I am quite unfamiliar with it but I am always hearing about it. My Cooperating teacher has also mentioned finding great ideas for lessons there. I will have to become more familiar with it as I lack creativity.

Jessica :)

Jessica Ruiz Velasquez
Jessica Ruiz Velasquez

Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:24 AM

Im on the same page with you about pinterest being a great resource. Although there aren't many full lesson plans, I have been able to find many worksheets that help you plan a lesson around. There are also rubrics for all sorts of projects that you can easily adapt to fit your particular project.

Lauren Galindo
Lauren Galindo

Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:13 PM

If you look up stem lessons on pointers there are so many! If you have a particular topic you want to look into, there are a lot of great ideas for projects, booklets, pamphlets, and experiments for students of all ages. Some of them you may tweak slightly to better fit your classroom.

Shelby Brillon
Shelby Brillon

Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:53 PM

Thats such a great idea! I did not think to use Pinterest as a resource.

Marissa LaMar
Marissa LaMar

Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:06 AM

I have had some trouble finding stuff that is free, it often directs me to teachers pay teachers, which is also a great site! They have some free stuff and some stuff you have to pay for. It usually isn't too expensive but they have some pretty great resources and lessons.

Laura Palermo
Laura Palermo

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:24 AM

Great blog post, "An Open Letter: To Pinterest, from a Teacher," by Mary Wade, encouraging us all to make our education and activity pins a valuable resource with information about the concepts in the activity, links to the source and research about ECE, and explaining how the science activity extends student understanding.
I am going to try to make my Pinterest pin choices richer by reflecting on Mary Wade's questions, including:
"Will this help me better understand and reach my students?
Will this enhance student ownership over learning?
Will this encourage the 4 C’s (critical thinking, communication, collaboration, or creativity)?"
Plus the cute picture, of course!

What makes a Pinterest pin a valuable resource for you?

Peggy Ashbrook
Margaret Ashbrook

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:42 AM

Pinterest is for more than just looking at photos of clothes you want or recipes you love. It’s a powerful tool for teachers and students around the world.

Research paper writers

Serena Mikell
Serena Mikell

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:05 PM

Katrina Munoz
Katrina Munoz

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:06 PM

I definitely share your obsession with Pinterest! It has actually replaced my need for google. In regards to science ideas on pinterest, I have found some interesting concepts and projects on their but they are mostly geared towards the younger ages. In general i think there is a lack of coverage for science out there because it is not given as much importance as a core subject. My little brother just turned 17, so he is basically the generation before mine, and he was not taught science nor the concept of the scientific method till about 5th grade. I thought it was crazy that he was learning how to write an "if, then' statement and had only just heard of it. But as for science, looking through pinterest and even sights like brainpop can help spark some interesting ideas. you just may have to think outside the box a little.

Katrina Munoz
Katrina Munoz

Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:54 PM

As a college student that is getting a teaching degree, Pinterest is the best thing ever! I do not have a lot of lessons at the moment, but I am always looking on Pinterest for lessons for my future class!

Taylor Anderson
Taylor Anderson

Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:39 PM

I have found tons of lesson plan ideas as well as ways to incorporate science into any classroom environment!  One of the ideas that I found very fun and interesting for a younger classroom was using root beer floats to teach states of matter! This would be fun for all your students as well as a great way to visualize and explain the topic! I hope you find what you need on Pinterest, because I know it has so many ideas!

Madison Hitchborn
Madison Hitchborn

Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:38 PM

As most of you have mentioned, Pinterest is amazing! However, it is very easy to get lost jumping from pin to pin. I am always looking for new and creative ideas for lessons so if there are any suggestions on boards or other Pinners to follow I would love to know about them! :)

-Megan

Megan Holmes
Megan Holmes

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:35 PM

I love Pinterest, it really is an amazing way to find activities to do in any subject. Thanks to Pinterest I have been able to find different activities for my students to do in the classroom. Whether they are activities just to do for fun or activities so they can actually learn a concept. One activity I found through Pinterest with the worksheet and everything was "Is It Magnetic?" This activity was something that students enjoy doing and will help them understand what object are magnetic and which are not.

This is the link is order to find it: http://www.themeasuredmom.com/free-magnet-worksheet-for-kids/

Beatriz Ulloa
Beatriz Ulloa

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:57 PM

Thanks for sharing.  I love pinterest and think there is tons of information available.

Cielo

Cielo Sanchez
Cielo Sanchez

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:00 PM

Pinterest is such an amazing website. They give you many different activities on how to create your lesson. I love how many teachers have different ideas for each subject.

Yolanda Tzoc
Yolanda Tzoc

Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:10 PM

I am currently student teaching in a fifth grade science classroom.  My cooperating teacher found a foldable that explains the seasons, including a picture of the eart's tilt on its axis during each season.

Myca Miller
Myca Miller

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:25 AM

I have found a lot of cool ideas on Pinterest as well but, I have noticed a lot of times they do not explain the activites thoughouly.  I prefer teachers pay teachers because it is other teachers sharing their resources and usually they give you their lesson plan that you can differentiate according to your own classroom and students needs.  Pinterst is great for some but not all science ideas.

Jennifer McMullen