Elementary Science

Getting students involved and excited about science

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:09 AM

Hello,

I am a preservice teacher and currently in school pursuing elementary education. As I am doing my field hours I have noticed it is quite difficult to get the students engaged and excited to do science lessons and experiments. Does anyone have any tips or strategies that have worked in the past?

Haley Maxwell
Haley Maxwell

Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:51 PM

I would make the lessons and activities hands-on. Get the students moving around and interacting with classmates. This will help build the energy in the room and keep the lessons engaging. Find out what the students interests are and build on that to meet their needs. Let the students have choice in the experiments they create and do. Let the students explore on their own and learn by doing.

Olivia Wooff
Olivia Wooff

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 AM

I agree! The more hands on activities you can incorporate as well as trying to integrate other subjects too!

Sara Pierce
Sara Pierce

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:10 PM

Hello,

I have been teaching for over 25 years and Science is my passion. My tip to you would be to use everyday household items to make Science real to the students. For example, I have used a banana and mallet to demonstrate physical changes of matter.

Jacqueline Mask
Jacqueline Mask

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:39 PM

Hello,

I have found an article on how to make students engaged and excited to learn !

Make sure you're a very interactive teacher and you make it fun and engaging to learn. I have found that many experiments, and hands on activities have been helpful in the science classroom. Also, technology is a huge thing! Children love technology and it keeps them engaged and interested.

Hope this helps !

London Eaves
London Eaves

Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 PM

I also agree with the hands-on activities to get the students engaged. Another way that could work would be showing exciting videos or for the younger kids, reading a relatable book. Anything to really catch their attention can be beneficial.

Erin Scroggin
Erin Scroggin

Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:00 PM

I agree with everyone else! By making your activities hands-on and allowing for the students to explore the topic is going to be a great way for you to engage your students more, allowing them to be more excited about the lessons, and your lessons won't be so boring to the students. They will want to participate more if they know they have the option to be doing more than just listening to you give your lesson!

Sadie Backoff