Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:02 AM

I am looking for a list of academic vocabulary for Kindergarten and 1st grade that aligns with the NGSS? Can anyone help me?

Jeffrey Owen
Jeffrey Owen

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 PM

Jeffrey,

I think Adah is right on. the only way to do it is study the standards ad find what words are used. Then you will be able to create a much more aligned and useful work.

Kathy

Kathy Renfrew
Kathleen Renfrew

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:55 PM

Hope this helps.... then select the grade level on the right.

Brynna Malen
Brynna Malen

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:25 PM

We created this district-wide. We looked at the standards and at the current testing for our District. We agreed that K-12 we needed to have a common language. This was difficult because science and math have some tough language, but we agreed that it is easier for students to transition if we keep the vocabulary the same. We have posters of the most important vocabulary words at each level that are posted in our classrooms and we create word walls to highlight vocabulary. We have yet to agree on the best method to use vocabulary in our science notebooks.

Nancy Stephenson
Nancy Stephenson
2085 Activity Points

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:24 AM

Hi Jeffrey:
I would develop my own if I were you. I would go over the standards at your grade level and just start jotting down the words that appear in those standards for your grade level. I image it wouldn't be too difficult but it would be a great way to see if you where covering what you should be covering. I honestly don't think there is one now but the process of creating one for your personal needs would be more relevant to your teaching needs.
Adah

Adah Stock
Adah Stock

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 PM

Adah,

You are correct! Studying the standards and choosing the appropriate academic vocabulary from a specific standard will help in more way than one. By doing this activity you will become much more intimate with NGSS. You will know more and so will your students.

kathy

Kathy Renfrew
Kathleen Renfrew

Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:27 PM

Hi Jeffrey -
I have been thinking about all the specific vocabulary for math and science, too. Last night in my college class, the Professor suggested we make our own for each unit. We could make it a project where the students help and perhaps include an image or picture. Since I am not in the classroom yet, I don't know how long this could take, but I thought including the students in making a Word Wall for units in math and science would be a great way to learn vocab.
Joanne

Joanne Harkness
joanne harkness

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15 AM

I would definitely involve the students in creating a Word Wall. It won't look as uniform as if the teacher made the cards, but the students will have more ownership in the words and the process. Even my middle school students enjoyed illustrating the words, too.

Mary Bigelow
Mary Bigelow

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:36 PM

Adah is right, Jeffery! creating your own base off the school's criteria and curriculum will not only benefit the students, but yourself.

Austin Arredondo
Austin Arredondo

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:46 PM

You might want to look at some of the clarifying statements in the K and grade one NGSS topics for some general guidelines.

Arlene Jurewicz-Leighton
Arlene Jurewicz Leighton

Sun May 11, 2014 2:39 PM

I just completed a PD focused on the NGSS. They pointed out something interesting when it came to vocabulary and terminology that I actually preferred to do. They said that focusing on the process of science, whatever aspect that may be, and applying vocabulary later, as needed, gives the students a better chance at learning that vocabulary because they'll already have something to attach the words to from the moment they hear and see them. Focus on the students' experience and add vocabulary as you see they are fit to understand.

Julius Dease
Julius Dease

Tue May 20, 2014 5:41 PM

Julius ,

I often struggle with when and how to discuss vocabulary and think there are at least two very different situations. The situation that is most perplexing for me in to carefully and comprehensively identify words we use in science that sound like and sometimes exactly like words students already know but in the context where the meaning is complete different. For example derivative - deriving from, or an financial instrument or a rate of change. For such words it is necessary to stop immediately and explain the vocabulary. If one does not do this some very interesting confusion develops. The problem here as the teachers as experts are not always aware of slipping from common to technical meaning.
The second case is vocabulary connected to new concepts that can be explained without the technical jargon. In this case I agree get the concept down and attache the jargon later.

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Wed May 21, 2014 12:07 PM

You Have to hunt to find it but if you go to www.lewiscenter.org you will find vocabulary for the standards.

Patricia Dunphy
Patricia Dunphy

Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:01 AM

I agree what everyone is saying about creating your own. You want to make sure the vocabulary words are aligned with your district and state. I would not only look at your grade level but look at levels higher than yours. This will help you to locate words needed for your grade level but also higher grades. It will also help not to cause any misconceptions with words.

Mitzi Cole