Pamela Dupre

I'm a STEM Master Teacher for grades 3 -5. I spend 3 weeks at 3 different schools on a rotation basis throughout the year. I have been fortunate to receive professional development with LEGO EV3 Mindstorm Robots, Little Bits, and Vernier Probeware. I love what I do! My husband is my biggest cheerleader. I am beyond excited to meet with other educators from all over the U.S. and spend a week immersed in science and math. Having access to so much information before the academy is just incredible. #MEMTA16 PS This year has brought a new challenge. We lost two elementary STEM Teachers and now each of us serves 4 schools. We spend one week at each school. Email and texting are essential to keep up with what is happening at each school. I've been working with teachers on choosing grants to write that will help them get the materials they want and need to enrich their STEM lessons. It's exciting to have Kindergarten teachers ask for my help!

Location

LA

Affiliation

Calcasieu Parish School Board

Recent Posts by Pamela

Yesterday, 11:35 AM in Structure and Function Resources
Meiko, I use the Explore All Resources button on the top menu for everything. I typed in Structure and Function and then chose User Resources. Here is what I found: http://learningcenter.nsta.org/mylibrary/collection.aspx?id=EIK7QYodr4Q_E It is geared toward elementary. Structure and Function/Adaptation Collection

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 PM in #Project Phenomena
Oh wow! That is fantastic! You know you made me go search for that! Great discussion!

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:58 PM in Resources for Science Lessons
Megan gave some really great links through NSTA. I like using https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/new when I have a difficult time making a concept simple and easily broken down for students' understanding. However, my favorite site is; http://ngss.nsta.org/Classroom-Resources-Results.aspx?resource= I can spend way too much time there checking out all of the resources!

Recent Reviews by Pamela

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 PM
5 Having Fun With Forces and Motion
Classroom Curling lured me in and now I have to do this. I don't have to do it; I want to do it! Playing games to teach scientific concepts ensures high engagement, and exploration on the part of the students. When we make science connect to real world experiences, students are able to apply scientific principals and create graphs on the data they create! It's a win-win for everyone!

Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:10 AM
5 How Cold is Cold?
This is a great engagement piece to highlight to students that science is in our everyday lives. I like the fact that this begins as a simple observation/question. It is tied to properties of objects and materials, heat, light, electricity, and magnetism. Transfer of energy is also evident with energy transformations. It can be used with K-4 and 5-8.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:14 PM
4 Scientific Arguments
I'm working hard to read as much about, argumentation in science as I can. There is a lot of pertinent information in this collection and it offers guidelines that help develop the use of data, evidence, and claims in reasoning when discussing scientific argumentation. I plan on sharing two of these articles with my colleagues.

Recent Public Collections by Pamela

Writing in Science

14 Resources

Journals, other writing, articles, and research.

Writing Assignments in a Nonmajor Introductory Ecology Class
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

“Scientific Writing”—A Course to Improve the Writing of Science Students: Stressing the English Language Component of Scientific Writing
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Assessments

78 Resources

Assessment Questions and Rubric
Type: User uploaded resource

"Clicker" Cases: Introducing Case Study Teaching Into Large Classrooms
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Weather

11 Resources

track weather, weather articles, charts, cycles, climate

Weather Detectives: Searching for Cool Clues
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

http://World Wide Weather: Involving students in GLOBE's real-life scientific research
Type: Journal Article