Moving Toward NGSS: Connecting Science to Common Core With Picture-Perfect Science Lessons
NSTA Press Author (Picture-Perfect Science series, Teaching Science Through Trade Books, and Next Time You See children's book series)
- Required text: Even More Picture-Perfect Science Lessons
- Course duration: April 21 – May 9, 2014
- Live web seminar dates: Thursdays, April 24, May 1 and 8, 2014, all at 6:30 p.m. ET
This online short course provided practical ways to connect the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) with the Common Core State Standards, English Language Arts through the use of high-quality, science-related picture books. Through synchronous web seminars and asynchronous discussions, K-5 educators:
- Experienced model lessons that teach the NGSS for grades K-5;
- Learned how to integrate Common Core reading and writing standards into elementary science lessons;
- Explored the 5E instructional model as a way to sequence elementary science lessons;
- Were introduced to several quality science trade books that can be used to teach the NGSS and Common Core ELA standards.
Participants attended three live web seminars with the instructor. In the days between the live sessions, they completed readings, implemented model lessons in their classrooms, and participated in discussion forums with a community of K-5 educators.
Participants spent approximately 10-15 hours on this online course, including asynchronous and synchronous components.
For more information contact email@example.com