Shifting to the NGSS: Professional Book Study for Elementary School Teachers
NSTA developed an Online Book Study around the Enhanced E-book: Discover the NGSS: Primer and Unit Planner. This enhanced e-book offers a comprehensive introduction to the NGSS, including background information, each of the three dimensions in depth, and steps to move teachers toward classroom implementation.
During the online book study, elementary school teachers attended live web seminars and participated in asynchronous discussions with other participants and with the web seminar presenters, Tricia Shelton and Jessica Holman. The web seminars supported use of the Enhanced E-book to deepen participant understanding of the innovations of the NGSS. Presenters also shared examples and stories from the classroom to illustrate HOW this understanding can be used to translate the NGSS into classroom teaching and learning.
The four live web seminars were scheduled from 7:15 - 8:45 pm Eastern time on the dates below (every other Tuesday):
- February 12, February 26, March 12, March 26
During the book study participants had access to:
- A moderated private forum for group discussions with other book study participants
- Digital resources and all NSTA Learning Center online community tools (My Library, My Learning Plan, My Profile, Community Forums)
- All archive versions of the web seminars to watch on-demand.
By the end of the book study, participants will be able to:
- Communicate an understanding of the three-dimensions and 3D learning (instruction and assessment)
- Begin to design NGSS lessons that work coherently within a storyline or unit of study
- Identify phenomena that can drive student learning
Participants received a certificate from NSTA after each live web seminar (1.5 hours per web seminar) as evidence of their attendance and participation.
Have questions? Contact Flavio Mendez (email@example.com)