Science and Engineering Practices: Professional Book Study for K-12 Teachers
Are you a K-12 school teacher working to enhance your knowledge and understanding of the Science and Engineering Practices from A Framework for K-12 Science Education and the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)? Register to participate in the Science and Engineering Practices: Professional Book Study, taking place in January-February, 2020!
NSTA has developed an Online Book Study around the book Helping Students Make Sense of the World Using Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices. This book provides a play-by-play understanding of the practices, written in clear, nontechnical language. Through a wealth of real-world examples you will discover what’s different about three-dimensional teaching and learning at all grade levels.
During the online book study, K-12 school teachers attend live web seminars and participate in asynchronous discussions with the presenters, Jessica Holman, Kate Soriano and Tricia Shelton.The web seminars support use of the book to deepen participant understanding of the science and engineering practices. Presenters also share examples and stories from the classroom to illustrate HOW this understanding can be translated into classroom teaching and learning.
Cost to individuals:
- NSTA Member: $63
- Non-member: $79
Need to pay with a Purchase Order? Download the Form
Also remember to purchase the Helping Students Make Sense of the World Using Next Generation Science and Engineering Practices book if you don't have a copy.
The four live web seminars are scheduled from 7:15 - 8:45 pm Eastern time on the dates below (all Tuesdays):
- January 28, February 4, 11, and 18, 2020
During the book study participants have access to:
- A moderated private forum for group discussions with other book study participants
- Digital resources and all NSTA Learning Center online community tools (My Library, My Learning Plan, My Profile, Community Forums)
- All archive versions of the web seminars to watch on-demand.
The book study presenters will address these three questions:
- Why does having students engage in science and engineering practices promote student learning?
- What does it look like in the classroom when students engage in the science and engineering practices to make sense of phenomena?
- How can educators effectively support students to engage in practices to make sense of phenomena?
Participants will receive a certificate from NSTA after each live web seminar (1.5 hours per web seminar) as evidence of their attendance and participation.
Have questions? Contact Flavio Mendez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Science Leaders Can Sponsor Groups of Elementary School Teachers
Are you a state, district, or school leader working to enhance your teachers' knowledge and understanding of the Science and Engineering Practices in the NGSS? Sponsor a cohort of teachers to participate in the Science and Engineering Practices: Professional Book Study for K-12 School Teachers!
Cost to districts:
Please contact Flavio Mendez via email (email@example.com) or call 703-312-9250 for a quote.