We noticed you haven't updated your profile picture recently. We've upgraded your profile to allow for richer hi-resolution images. We invite you to take a moment to upload a new image that represents you in the community!
Does anyone have lessons on nutrition, rocks and minerals, environmental change, sun moon earth, animal adaptations, and electricity and magnetism. These are for a fourth grad classroom. Ideas appreciated. These are for the year and will be divided up.
1550 Activity Points
Are the topics you mentioned curriculum units you will be teaching in the fall? I think you might focus on one or two of these topics. You can access great resources right here in the Learning Center for those topics. For example, let's look at electricity and magnetism.
Shoe Box Circuits and Flick A Switch
These are just two of the many resources.
34075 Activity Points
Would you like some more help developing units? I am willing to assist.
I will try doing those this year. Thanks for any help I can get.
I have a collection of 5E lessons for elementary students in Earth, Life and Physical Science. I will attach these collections and hopefully you will find something you can use.
These are complete lesson in different grades that you can use or adapt as you need to.
Hope this helps.
101510 Activity Points
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Rocks and Minerals
Thanks. That was very helpful. I appreciate it! :)
Thanks for the Rocks weblink. It is a wonderful site I can use in my class with teachers next spring.
48550 Activity Points
There are some excellent activities on magnetism and electromagnetism at the NASA THEMIS/ARTEMIS site. This link is to the Exploring Magnetism guide. While it states that it is for grades 6-9, I think that they could be done with younger students. I use some of the activities with campers as young as 7.
11925 Activity Points
You've already been referred to some great websites and lesson ideas form Kathy, Adah, and Chris. Here are a few more places that I've found very helpful in my lesson planning:
- Teachers Pay Teachers is a great website with products that are created by other teachers. You can search by topic, subject, learning resources (i.e. interactive notebooks, smartboards, etc). I've found this website to be very helpful!
- Picture Perfect Science Lessons are a series of books that use picture books to teach inquiry based science lessons. I really love this series because many times I'm trying to squeeze science into our day. I've found great success when I integrate reading and science. The kids love it, and I can teach science concepts during my literacy block!
- Teaching Science through Trade Books is another fantastic resource for integrating reading and science instruction.
- Inquiring Scientists, Inquiring Readers is a great resource for promoting science literacy using non-fiction text resources
- Lawerence Hall of Science at UCal Berkeley is another great resource with fantastic lesson ideas
- The Learning Center Advanced Search tool is another great resource to find lesson plans and teaching resources for almost any topic you can think of in science.
Best of luck as you move into the new year! Be sure to let us know how all your new lessons go! :)
41030 Activity Points
Forum content is subject to the same rules as NSTA List Serves. Rules and disclaimers