Next Generation Science Standards

DCI's and Related Formative Assessment Probes

Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:39 PM

Are you looking for probes from NSTA's Uncovering Student Ideas series related to the physical science disciplinary core ideas? Attached is a crosswalk tool for identifying probes in the existing physical science collection. I would appreciate your feedback to find out whether this tool is helpful. It may also be helpful in identifying phenomena as many of the probes use familiar phenomena to elicit students' ideas and explain their thinking.

Page Keeley
Page Keeley

Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:32 PM

Page,

Thank you for sharing these charts. They will be very helpful to teachers that I teach. Will you be doing any others? I like the fact you will be including them in future books. I have all of your books and look forward to the next one.

Betty

Betty Paulsell
Betty Paulsell

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:45 PM

The Life Science chart is attached.

Page Keeley
Page Keeley

Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:23 PM

Hi Page!

Thanks so much for sharing the crosswalk charts showing have the probes in your Understanding Student Ideas books relate to the Disciplinary Core Ideas. I have used your probes for many years, and this reference chart will undoubtedly help me organize my use of the probes to align to the NGSS.

One of the things that I really like about the charts is that they breakout the probes by grade level. This feature will help teachers identify probes that are grade appropriate for a specific DCI. I also really appreciate that you included the volume an year in which each problem is published.

I'm curious of there are plans to include these charts in the print versions of the USI books?

Thanks!

Maureen

Maureen Stover
Maureen Stover

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:11 PM

Maureen,
I really like your suggestion of posting the charts in my upcoming books. I think I will do that for the upcoming Earth and Environmental Science. Thanks for the idea!
Best,
Page

Page Keeley
Page Keeley

Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 PM

Hi Page,

I have an transfer of energy course coming up in the fall for science teachers so would love to have these DCI probes bundled together. I just did a search and found 152 of the formative probes as book chapters in the LC. Only a small percentage of probes in each book it seems are individual book chapters.

It would be nice to have a way for each DCI to have a specific collection of probes created from your crosswalk charts here in the LC

Arlene

Arlene Jurewicz-Leighton
Arlene Jurewicz Leighton

Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:01 AM

Arlene-
That would be something for NSTA Press to consider. You might think about contacting them and proposing that idea. By the way, I am currently working on Uncovering Student Ideas in Physical Science- Matter and Energy (Vol. 3). Lot's of good energy probes in that book that address energy-related DCI's. Stay tuned!
PK