Research in Science Education

Virtual Reality Technology in the Classroom?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:18 AM

Hi all,

I am interested in hearing if anyone has tried using virtual reality (probably Google Cardboard, though there are others) with their students and what the experience was like, both for the teacher and student.

I am a former science and math teacher that has now gone back to school and am researching how helpful VR is in the classroom. I've done a decent amount of research and found that there are many ways that VR technology can help students. However, there are also some significant barriers to implementing it in the classroom. I've created a website to make public the things I find and also have tried to collect educational VR resources in case teachers need an easy place to find content. Feel free to check it out at: www.virtualrealityforeducation.com.

At any rate, the technology for VR is developing rapidly and could be a great tool in classrooms if used appropriately. I know that technology use in education does not increase at the same rate so a healthy discussion now could help teachers in the future when it is more feasible.

Thanks!

Elliot Hu-Au
Elliot Hu-Au

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 PM

Thanks for sharing your site - it is very helpful!

Kathy Biernat
Kathy Biernat

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 PM

Thanks for sharing your site - it is very helpful!

Kathy Biernat
Kathy Biernat

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:56 PM

Hi Elliot.
I just came across your post.  I recently attended a film festival with included VR movies as well as a panel discussion on the topic.  VR seems to be an emerging  topic in the film industry

I recently participated in an online panel about the use of VR and Aug R in education.  If you are not familiar with ISTE ( International Society for Technology in Education ) you might want to get on their mailing list for web seminars and resources.

They are hosting three events on Top Tech Trends in K-12.  Though the VR event has past you might still be able to see the archive

Here is the link with information

Good luck !

Arlene JL

Arlene Jurewicz-Leighton
Arlene Jurewicz Leighton

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:18 PM

Hi Arlene,

Thanks for the link! I will be sure to check it out. I have heard of ISTE but do not follow them regularly or subscribe to any of their mailing lists. I will do that now since you told me about their events addressing VR and AR.

Thank you for your help!
Elliot

Elliot Hu-Au
Elliot Hu-Au

Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:27 AM

Most welcomed Elliot

One of my all time fav books about VR is Virtual Reality by Howard Rheingold from the 1990s A really good read for historical perspective

And from that era is some of the research I did on another immersive technology Holography: Opening New Dimensions for Learning

Food for thought

Arlene

Arlene Jurewicz-Leighton
Arlene Jurewicz Leighton

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:51 PM

I'm a HS SpEd teacher for a program for kids with autism and other brain-based conditions. We're including MAKER SPACES and Sci Tech Challenges based on NGSS and NSTA press books. Have added Arduino circuit starter kits. Just bought a VR maze game by seedling to introduce VR concepts.

MARIA SANSALONE
MARIA SANSALONE

Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 PM

Hi Maria,

Wow, that Seedling VR Maze game looks very interesting! I am very curious how it will work for your students. Some research I have come across has shown that VR is useful for helping autistic students adapt to functioning in real-world scenarios but I have not seen anything on the use of a VR game giving the perspective of an object in a maze. If I could ask, what made you decide to purchase the Seedling game over any others?

Thanks and good luck in the new semester.
Elliot

Elliot Hu-Au
Elliot Hu-Au

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 PM

Hello all!
I am trying to figure out how to get my students to create their own virtual reality- what I would like to do is say, "Your assignment is to find a picture of a place on the Moon and annotate the picture" so in a VR headset I could look at the picture, see where Apollo 11 landed " or something like that. But, I am stuck! I thought I could do this in thinglink, but have been unsuccessful. Any ideas using any programs would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Kathy Biernat
Kathy Biernat

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:30 PM

Hi Kathy,

That is a great idea and one that I have been searching for an answer to for awhile. Unfortunately, I haven't found a good solution yet other than to edit a 360 photo in Adobe Premiere Pro (could also be done in Apple's video editing studio, I'm sure). However, I have yet to come across an easy and quick way to do this for students. Preferably it would be an app on a smartphone or Ipad. If you want more information about what I did I would be happy to share. Otherwise, I am already looking for an app like you are so if I find it I will post it here (and on my website too, of course :) ).

Good luck,
Elliot

Elliot Hu-Au
Elliot Hu-Au

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:39 PM

Thank you for your reply! Are you doing this with pictures the students take or ones that you find on the internet? I will email you my information as I would very much appreciate knowing more about what you did. Thanks again!

Kathy