Chemistry

Breaking Bad Chemistry

Tue May 13, 2014 7:33 PM

The chemistry on breaking bad is actually very good and I get questions about this program frequently

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:00 AM

Interesting!!!

Tommy Jerome Baxter
Tommy Jerome Baxter

Tue May 13, 2014 8:16 PM

Breaking Bad Chemistry

some of the organic chemistry in Seasons 1 and 2 of Breaking Bad. In particular, I discuss the chemical synthesis of methamphetamine (crystal meth) and consider whether 'Heisenberg's' blue crystal really is the purest most active form of the drug.

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Thu May 29, 2014 8:38 PM

Shameless confession....I am a chemistry teacher and I have never seen Breaking Bad. :-/ (Side note....I was thinking about watching it on Netflix now that my school year has ended). Pamela, I am so glad you started this thread in the forum. I have students ask me about this all. the. time.

Ruth Hutson
Ruth Hutson

Fri May 30, 2014 1:00 AM

My kids always ask me if I know how to make meth. :)

Chris Leverington
Chris Leverington

Fri May 30, 2014 9:19 AM

Is Breaking Bad appropriate for elementary school? I viewed the link on youtube. How can my kids benefit?

Amatulmuid Anderson
Amatulmuid Anderson

Fri May 30, 2014 3:32 PM

This is in my estimation NOT appropriate for elementary or middle school. The story line is that a HS chemistry teacher learns he has cancer and wants to leave money to care for his family. To do this he starts making meth

Pamela Auburn
Pamela Auburn

Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:52 PM

I completely agree with Pam. This series is definitely NOT for elementary school. It has a very mature theme. I do not show it in my high school classes. However, high school students, being the rebels that they are, watch it on their own time at home. They have questions about the content and they ask me.

Ruth Hutson
Ruth Hutson

Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:21 PM

Pam:
As a chemistry teacher I have to start watching it now. You have peaked my interest. But with that said, having the students (high school obviously) relate to the chemistry in the real world is a great thing even if it is not for good purposes. You have to engage them where you can.
Adah

Adah Stock
Adah Stock

Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:55 PM

I have watched the show, and it is definitely NOT appropriate for elementary students.

Michelle Diosa
Michelle Diosa

Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:23 AM

Thanks for the information.

Penny Perriguey