STEM

Implementing STEM in my classroom

Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:10 PM

Good evening,

I am studying to be an elementary school teacher and am currently working with kindergartners. I would like to know how I could implement STEM in a classroom for Kindergarten. Anything helps, thank you!

Leslie Pompa
Leslie Pompa

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:07 AM

Hi Leslie!
I think it could be a lot of fun to implement STEM in your future Kindergarten classroom. Research states that implementing STEM at a young age can really help your students in the long run! I think providing your students with hands on activities that are developmentally appropriate would be the best way to implement STEM in your classroom. I found a link with a lot of great ideas for your Kindergartners! Kindergarten STEM Hope you find the activities useful!

Ana Gonzalez
Ana Gonzalez

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 PM

Good evening to you too,

I am also studying to be an elementary school teacher. One way that you could implement STEM in a classroom for Kindergarten is by using short, challenging, group problem solving and brain push-up activity. Such as the Row, Row, Row, the Foil Boat. The title itself is engaging and it is really simple. All you would need is a few simple supplies as: foil paper 5x6 inches, pennies, and a plastic container with water. You have the classroom create their own boat and have the boat float on water and then lastly have them add the pennies one by one and see how many pennies it would take to sink the boat. It is easy and fun all at the same time. Plus you implement the nursery rhyme which possibly they may have prior knowledge of hearing it.

Maria Salazar
Maria Salazar

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 AM

Hello Leslie,

I do highly believly that schools should implement STEM at an early age, because this not only challenges the student, but also gets them thinking. One way that I would start off with an activity that is both math and science.

Francisco Garcia
Francisco Garcia

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:56 PM

Leslie,

I believe STEM is best implemented by allowing creativity, expression, and collaboration in the classroom. In all grades, but especially in the lower grades, I have noticed that students often learn best from each other. I would begin implementing STEM by designing activities around group work and/or students teaching each other.
In math, you can have students share how they got their answers step by step so that others can see and hear their peer's thinking and strategizing. In science, a great idea is having students work on group projects to "research" about the weather, water, and other Kindergarten TEKS. At the end of the week or lesson, the groups can share their findings with the class. I hope my ideas can help you implement STEM education in your Kindergarten classroom!

Kelsey Nason
Kelsey Nason

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:21 AM

Hi Leslie,

STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, every teacher should bring implement STEM to their classes. STEM is growing everywhere, students should be prepared when they just attend school. Kindergarten is a great age to let children start STEM, this is like a foundation, after they get into it, they will feel comfortable when they get into higher grade level. I think you should give young children more creative hands on activities to attract their interest, or give them more topic that related to their life, instead of just lecture the concept. I believe our job is exploit students potentialities, not cram them. Let students feel study is an interesting thing, then they will start to learn by themselves. Hope you love my idea.

Yixiu

Yixiu Yan
Yixiu Yan

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:43 PM

Hi Leslie!

I'd like to remind you that STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics. I feel like when people think of STEM they focus a lot on the science part and seem to forget the rest. Technology is also a very important thing that impacts our students in every way. I am currently in a Kindergarten class and I feel like they can manage an iPad better than I can!

We like to keep a variety of things for them to do on the iPad that includes science, math and reading. They have read-alongs, math review games and science apps they can use to explore. As a future teacher I am looking forward to implementing STEM into my classroom by having different workstations that focus on all different aspects of STEM.

I hope if you have these resources available you use them and help your students in expanding their knowledge!

Yessica