LaToya Pugh

iZone, Shelby County Schools

Social Media
Twitter
@LPugh3

Recent Posts by LaToya

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:15 PM in Science Teaching Video Exemplars
Hi Ms. Wolfe, Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely check out these resources. Looking at videos aligned to NGSS will be a great start, as I am working to help coaches and teachers identify the science and engineering practices within a lesson. Thank you again for sharing.

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:24 AM in Science Teaching Video Exemplars
Hello All! I am looking for science teaching exemplar videos.  Actual videos of teachers teachings so that a group of teachers can watch the video and have a discussion about best practices viewed, culture of the classroom, student discourse and more.  I know that there are a few resources that I will be more than happy to share but if you are aware of any other resources, websites tha...

Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:42 PM in Rigor In Science
We talk a lot about ensuring that science is rigorous. We want to ensure that the learning goals that we set for students are rigorous.  However,  What does rigor look like in science? What are the components of rigor in science? Is there a document per NGSS or anything that outlines what rigor is in science?

Recent Reviews by LaToya

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:56 PM
5 Common Core Lesson
This is a great lesson that really engages students in routine writing, analyzing data, using data to make claims, using evidence to support their claims, and then making justifications through reasoning. What I like most about this lesson is that it is designed for grade 3 and to imagine 3rd graders doing this is great. Can't wait to share this lesson with other teachers.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:33 PM
4 Supporting New Science Teachers
I think this article hit on a key point that is close to me. new science teachers need to collaborate with other veteran science teachers and science advisors in their district or outside the district. I think that is why I like the NSTA Learning Center so much because new science teachers can collaborate with other science teachers from around the U.S. New science teachers not only need resources but they need someone to follow up on them and provide essential feedback that they can use to help grow them. This is a great article.

Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:07 PM
5 Engaging K-2
I really like this activity. I use the Picture Perfect Science Lesson, Earthlets that also focuses on observation and inferences. I think pairing this activity with that lesson would be a great introduction.

Recent Public Collections by LaToya

Matter

5 Resources

Packing Peanut Properties
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Science Shorts: All That Matters
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Science Discourse

2 Resources

Science 101: How do you ask effective questions in science class, and how do you analyze the responses?
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Dare to Disagree, as Scientists
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Formative Assessment Probes: Is It a Solid? Claim Cards and Argumentation
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Formative Assessment Probes: Constructing Cl-Ev-R Explanations to Formative Assessment Probes
Type: Journal Article