Emily Faulconer

I am a volunteer Online Advisor for the Learning Center. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the Learning Center! I started my teaching career in Surry County, Virginia, teaching high school sciences. I have been at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for six years. These days, I split my time between teaching sciences (Chemistry and Environmental Science) and administrative responsibilities. I hope to start working more with undergraduate researchers.

Location

FL

Affiliation

Embry-Riddle Aernautical University

Recent Posts by Emily

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:20 PM in Assessments
I do not have experience teaching at that grade level, but you can search through NSTA resources here.  A few that I saw are:  Everyday Assessments in the Science Classroom (e-book) $3.75 for members Science Formative Assessment, Volume 1: 75 practical strategies for linking assessment, instruction, and learning (2nd edition book) $31.04 member price

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:13 PM in STEM to Students
What grade level are you interested in resources for?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:12 PM in STEM
It has been amazing seeing how STEM education has grown over the last few decades! I'm really curious to see how humanistic STEM and integrated STEM develop now that we have a solid foundation of best practices in STEM education at multiple grade levels.

Recent Reviews by Emily

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 AM
5 Formative Assessment in STEM
The authors present a unique approach to collecting information about formative assessment by using a trained undergraduate student as a "learning researcher". This person makes observations and asks exploratory questions in order to provide the instructor with a daily report from the front lines of learning tasks. This study states benefits to both instructors and the learning researchers. Overall, this is an interesting approach to evaluating one's teaching as well as student learning ahead of a deliverable or major assessment.

Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:17 AM
5 Explanatory Thinking with Mobile Devices
This article provides a great overview of explanatory thinking, including student work using this pedagogical approach (Figure 1). The reported student perspectives and the student model development are compelling. It would have been interesting to see if there was a correlation between some of the student perspectives, though. For example, I am curious if there was a correlation between Question 3 and Question 4 responses (see Figure 4). Overall, strong article on combining a constructivist approach with mobile learning to enhance student motivation and learning.

Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:58 AM
5 Science Vocabulary
This is a great piece that explains how students can struggle with words that have one meaning in science but another in other disciplines or their personal life. One I see my students struggle with is the idea of a theory - which has a specific meaning in science but is more equivalent to a hypothesis in lay uses I tend to come across. This piece has encouraged me to do some self-reflecting to see how I can improve the vocabulary in my chemistry and environmental science classes to avoid confusion.

Recent Public Collections by Emily

A "Nature of Science" Discussion: Connecting Mathematics and Science
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Favorite Demonstration: Experiencing the Nature of Science—An Interactive, Beginning-of-Semester Activity
Type: Journal Article