Emily Faulconer

I am a volunteer Online Advisor for the Learning Center. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the Learning Center! I started my teaching career in Surry County, Virginia, teaching high school sciences. I have been at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for six years. These days, I split my time between teaching sciences (Chemistry and Environmental Science) and administrative responsibilities. I hope to start working more with undergraduate researchers.

Location

FL

Affiliation

Embry-Riddle Aernautical University

Recent Posts by Emily

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:29 AM in STEM-STEAM
This blog has a lot of STEAM project ideas listed. NSTA's Learning Center also has some great resources. I used the search term "STEAM". Here are some of the resources on the first page of results that I thought you might find useful: Learning About Plants With STEAM Listserv Roundup: Add More STEAM to Your Classes

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:23 AM in Gradeless
I agree that rubrics would be a key resource for communicating expectations and feedforward in a gradeless class.

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 AM in Lesson Plan: What is Gravity?
This lesson plan from PBS might have some resources you could use.

Recent Reviews by Emily

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:35 PM
5 Helpful List of Resources
This short article provides a helpful list of resources on GMOs

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:43 AM
4 Field Course
This paper presents a unique course experience for students to engage in field work as an elective science course. The discussion could be improved if it also addressed the cost to students and institution of the field experience and how liability was handled during the field work.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:36 AM
5 Environmental Service Learning
This work clearly presents a service-learning project that is linked to the course learning objectives and also provides the critical reflective component. The authors provide details on the assessment, including a rubric, allowing this project to be generalized and applied at other institutions.

Recent Public Collections by Emily

A "Nature of Science" Discussion: Connecting Mathematics and Science
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Favorite Demonstration: Experiencing the Nature of Science—An Interactive, Beginning-of-Semester Activity
Type: Journal Article