Emily Faulconer

I am a volunteer Online Advisor for the Learning Center. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the Learning Center! I started my teaching career in Surry County, Virginia, teaching high school sciences. I have been at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University for six years. These days, I split my time between teaching sciences (Chemistry and Environmental Science) and administrative responsibilities. I hope to start working more with undergraduate researchers.

Location

FL

Affiliation

Embry-Riddle Aernautical University

Recent Posts by Emily

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:57 AM in New Biochemistry Class
PhET may have some simulations that can supplement your lessons: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/biology

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 AM in Claims vs. Hypothesis vs. Predictions
I see a claim as part of an argument. It is supported with evidence (facts). While facts can inform a hypothesis, there is a distinct difference in the purpose. A previous post emphasized that a hypothesis is designed for testing. A claim is not.

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 AM in Periodic Table
I cannot find my original source of the lesson plan but I use something like this: https://www.teachsecondary.com/ict/view/lesson-plan-ks4-science-the-periodic-table  You could likely modify it for the 6th grade level. This lesson plan is intended for high school chemistry.

Recent Reviews by Emily

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:58 AM
5 Excellent examples of case studies in action
The author discusses how she used 7 case studies to teach the nature of science. The Dragon in my Garage is a great one to start the year with as it emphasizes asking questions, making observations, and designing experiments to try to answer you question about whether or not there is a dragon in the garage! Table 1 is a great quick reference for the case studies the author presents.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:48 AM
5 Excellent Visuals of Nonlinear Scientific Method
This is a well-written article that presents multiple high-quality figures to illustrate the modern nonlinear scientific method and the activity model for inquiry. The authors do an excellent job connecting their work to the NGSS.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:44 AM
3 Broken URL and Lacking Figures
This is a well-written article discussing an integrated science and math course for nonmajors. The authors mentioned statistical analysis but did not provide any figures or tables to present the data. While the book suggested in "Reinforcing the nature of science " is now dated, I appreciate the suggestion of using Fermi questions. However, because this article is now 12 years old, the URL listed to the resource is redirected to a general page by mathforum.org. In looking for this resource, I found a lesson plan aimed at Grades 5 - 12 (http://www.mathcircles.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Fermi_Estimates_Lesson_Plan_0-1.pdf)

Recent Public Collections by Emily

A "Nature of Science" Discussion: Connecting Mathematics and Science
Type: Journal Article
Grade:

Favorite Demonstration: Experiencing the Nature of Science—An Interactive, Beginning-of-Semester Activity
Type: Journal Article