Jennifer Smilan

I am a future Integrated Science educator with a focus in life science! I am currently student teaching in Northeast Ohio where I am teaching biology, human biology, and forensics.

Location

OH

Recent Posts by Jennifer

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:08 AM in Student Teaching- General Advice
This is an extremely helpful reply!  Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me. All the best, Jenny

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:31 PM in Student Teaching- General Advice
I am becoming increasingly nervous as my student teaching experience approaches. Is there any advice you can give me as someone who is entering one of the most nerve-wracking experiences of my college career? Is there something your cooperating teacher told you that has stuck with you throughout your teaching years? What makes you believe your student teaching is going to make an excellent teache...

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:20 PM in Appearing Confident as a New Teacher
As part of my student teaching requirements, I have had two different individuals from my university come in and observe me teach. While I recieved compliments of how much my students respect me and enjoy the materials, and that I have a good variety of ways to teach the topic, both the instructors said that I totally lack confidence when I am up there teaching, which is something that I was unaw...

Recent Reviews by Jennifer

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:28 PM
5 Great for all ages
Weather is one of the most popular topics among high school students, however, it is not usually taught. I remember in my early education spending days talking about the strange weather that had occurred the night before school, never really learning how different storms formed. This collection provides great materials for storms, tornados, and hurricanes. With the increasing number and intensity of severe storms, it is becoming more and more important to teach our students about the weather, especially with frequent weather changes in Ohio. This SciGuide was very easy to navigate and provided a large number of different and unique resources that I have not seen in previous research. Definitely an incredibly useful resource that I will reference in creating lesson plans and curriculum.

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:18 PM
5 Wonderful Collection
This was a great resource to find. I have always been interested in marine habitats and would love to incorporate fish tanks in my future classroom. This collection features great activities and information about food webs, ecosystems, and the overall importance of ecology. This is a great resource as well since it is important to discuss how and why coral reefs are dying based on global warming, obviously an extremely important topic in the science community.

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:19 AM
5 Great Activity
As a student teacher, I am nervous to teach forensics in the spring. I took forensics in High School but do not remember much from it. Finding this activity was wonderful! Since this activity is student centered, it is a great way for students to have hands on experience, while still using information that was taught during a brief lecture. This is also a fun activity that can be used over several days and I can already think of multiple worksheets and adaptations for my diverse learners. This was a great activity and I am fortunate to have found it as I start to build my future curriculum